Looking for an OLD volume control

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
image.jpg image.jpg Hi folks. I hope all is well with everyone!

I've got some posts and emails out looking for this volume control, but I figured there might be a slim chance of someone-knows-someone here that may help.

Thank You!
Joe

This is what I'm looking for:
Atwater Kent, model 72, H-2 chassis.
Volume control: AK part # 17270
Type - Centralab, dual section 100k/250k
Approximate dimensions:
Diameter- 2.25 inches
Thickness- 1 inch
Shaft- 1/4 inch thick, 1 inch length, steel with threaded brass sleeve.

Attachments

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Thanks guys. I do believe that I can use a modern equivalent, but I'll have to sort out a few things like whether or not it's logarithmic/linear, voltage capability and whether or not I can safely turn a dual section 100k/100k into a 100k/250k with a series resistor.

This controls the B+ grid current on the tubes, so that'll be a fair amount of voltage....!

I've heard tales of conductive paint, on the order of window defogger trace material, that could be used to repair the conductive element. But even if it's safe with high voltage, there's no simply way to get at it without popping rivets off old Bakelite...

I'm also looking for a parts chassis, which might take care of the issue. If you spot a "72" let me know/pm me please.

Cheers,
Joe

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Using my phone so unable to provide link but find the website for SPARC (Society for Preservation of Antique Radios in Canada) in Coquitlam BC. They store/exhibit/repair old sets and there's a good possibility of them having such a volume control. How willing they'd be to part with it is another matter.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Using my phone so unable to provide link but find the website for SPARC (Society for Preservation of Antique Radios in Canada) in Coquitlam BC. They store/exhibit/repair old sets and there's a good possibility of them having such a volume control. How willing they'd be to part with it is another matter.
Thanks, I've sent the email. Also to old radio parts but not even an equivalent.....

Going to say this in linear, and the series resistance thought will of course NOT work because it will still be there at full attenuation or whatever oops.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Well I did end up getting a replacement part, newer but old stock Centralab. Wow, all the searching I did led to one guy - Mark Oppat.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Edit: Wrong Mark, know Mr. Oppat, my mixup.

Last edited: