Linn LP12 Bouncing Eratically During Playback

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I have been having feed back problems as well... I am going to try an experiment I just ordered on of those gel wrist pads people use for wrist rests for computer key boards. I plan to cut 4 pieces off it for legs to set a piece of sound deadening board or maybe a sealing tile I am thinking the combination of the gel pads and an acoustic deadening type board maybe layered together should be good at absorbing vibrations

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Guys. One guy commented the shudder seems to happen after the warp in the record.
Yes it does seem the warp excites it but you have some form of tonearm resonance going on with the cantilever of the cartridge involved. That is not the warp fault (it is just the stimulus), that is some natural resonance in your tonearm/cartridge system.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Could the suspension of the needle itself be at fault? I misunderstood the description of the problem originally but after watching the video, it's definately a strange issue.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Do you have another needle or cartridge to pop on? If a different cartridge works your problem is in the cartridge somewhere.

Not it trying to alarm you but after watching the vid it seems the cartridge is riding a bit low. Bent or broken cantilever??? You would know better how your cartridge rides. Might be worth a good microscopic go over to eliminate the possibility. While your at it check the stylus...may have a chip or crack.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Dang, vinyl lovers have to go through some major shit to get our fix.

I've had my Thorens since 1977, major moves across this huge country, back and forth, once here in Arizona my roommates cat decided that the counter weight that hangs from the SME arm was just too tempting and tore it off, if he wasn't such a sweetie pie I would have killed him. It took me months of searching to find someone willing to part out their arm to replace it. $50 very well spent.

Scott, can you post a vid of the arm skating across the Lp?

Try to use a different cart as others suggested but does that mean you have to set the arm up again? Your tonearm may have gotten out of spec for some reason, I highly doubt it's the cartridge.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Braxus ,
remember that the LP 12 set up should be done at home !!!!
Don't move it , if possible .
It's a racing car !!!!
Anyway , I don't think that the problem is the cart.
Verify the VTF. ( 1,7 / 2.0 g )
Ciao
Marco

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I would send that video to Linn, looks like something is amiss with the subchassis or the way the arm was mounted. I have a table in the garage, the suspension is stupid sensitive and I can get platter movement like that but the arm never shudders like that independently

braxus

Journeyman
I took the table in last weekend and he looked at it today. This is what he said-"I think we have pinned down the major problem with your turntable.

The Linn Ittok arm has severe anti-skating issues, I think you mentioned you had it serviced but it is still way out on calibration compared to my Linn Ittok in the store.If the arm is zeroed (no weight) and the anti-skate is set to zero, it still skates across the table as if it were set to 2 or more.
Which means at the setting of 2 it was probably around 4 -5 or more, which would have caused the problems you were experiencing."He was suggesting 3 options. Live with it at zero, get it fixed by Linn, or sell the table and get something else. I don't want to just live with this issue, so option 1 is out. Getting it fixed by Linn isn't promising either, since it was Linn that repaired the tonearm the first time, and they still didn't get it right. And option 3 isn't too popular either, since I'd never recoupe the money I spent on this table to begin with. Having to sell it as a defective table at a huge loss of funds.
I'm kind of PO'd about this, since my used warranty has lapsed on this thing and I'd have to fork out big bucks to get this thing into shape. And the problem is who would I send it to without damage or expense?
What do you guys think?

braxus

Journeyman
The suspension still needs work, after the tonearm is fixed. To me it seems I'm sinking money into a table that still won't guarantee it will be 100% working as it supposed to. I've talked to the shop about selling the unit, with him parting it out by selling the tonearm separate of the table. And selling the table on its own. I'd actually get more money from the sale of the unit then what I initially paid for it, minus his commission. He has better tables for sale, so I will see what option he suggests for a break even price.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Sorry you have to consider giving up the LP12...one of my dream tables. There are a lot of nice tables out there to consider though, many without the hassle and temperament of the LP12. I guess it depends out what you want to get out of a table before diminishing return sets in. Good luck....trust your ears.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Don't give up on this. Must be a way to adjust to a lower anti-skate setting. Putting a 9" SME arm on it is a viable option. If you do want to through in the towel let me know.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I agree I would not give up on that table it is top shelf and well worth fixing to me sounds like you biggest problem is with the tone arm if it was me I would seek out the best linn tech in the country and ask if I could just send the tone arm for rebuild/repair or I would put the tone up up for sale as a needs repair unit and put the money into a new one as far as suspension if it has broken down or what ever then I would look for a deal like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINN-SONDEK...153964?hash=item3607dcf06c:g:swUAAOSwq7JTzW0S
the cost to repair your table is far less than it would cost to replace it at the quality of your LP12... just my 2 cents