Line level high pass filter for PL400

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Haha thanks guys. Yeah we might be clattering around on WWII diesel technology, but we do have satellite! It's slow as heck, but better than nothing that's for sure! There's not much to do but work and let the wheels in my head think up crazy ideas to tinker with when I get home... I was going to go to "Club Supersexe" when we arrive in Montreal this afternoon but just found out we have 14 tankers of bunker fuel waiting for us which means I have to work:angryfire: image.jpg image.jpg

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
The beauty of satellites and nothing to get in the way of the signal
That satellite is mounted on a gyro to compensate for the ship rolling and course changes. It's all fun and games until it eff's up and you're on top of the wheelhouse 150' above the water, in a blizzard so they guys can watch the game!

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I could never do that. I'd tell them to shit in their hat and read a book if they didn't want to go out in the blizzard themselves.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Haha thanks guys. Yeah we might be clattering around on WWII diesel technology, but we do have satellite! It's slow as heck, but better than nothing that's for sure! There's not much to do but work and let the wheels in my head think up crazy ideas to tinker with when I get home... I was going to go to "Club Supersexe" when we arrive in Montreal this afternoon but just found out we have 14 tankers of bunker fuel waiting for us which means I have to work:angryfire: View attachment 17926 View attachment 17927
Just make sure you stay off of the Edmund Fitzgerald... :)

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Just make sure you stay off of the Edmund Fitzgerald... :)
Its actually kind of creepy. I've sailed on ships almost identical to The Fitz, on the same run. We sail over top of her if you head to Thunder Bay from the St. Mary's river.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So I've been thinking about my low frequency response. I'm not running a rave or anything but there really is so much to be heard in most music at the extreme low end. My current speakers are limited to about 30hz. Maybe I should move this question to the speaker section but I'll run it by you here first. I have two big band pass cabinets will each be running on their own amp on a mono signal. I have Eminence Definimax 4015LF's in them right now, I was thinking about looking into weather one of these: http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-co.html in one of the cabinets with a Definimax in the other might fill out the bottom? This depends on running the numbers and seeing if it is an appropriate match to my cabinet (porting is not an issue as I can change that). The one problem right off is the 4 ohm bullchit :/Thoughts?

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
OK! 0.039uF PP caps ordered for high pass filter, 18" long throw sub ordered, Tuning calculated to give flat response down to at least 20Hz and probably a good bit lower, Amp capable of pushing 1800 watts into 4ohm mono bridge which I can achieve by placing the dual VC's in series. One band pass will run 0-70Hz but only pass up to 40Hz well, the next band pass will run 30Hz-85(ish)Hz, then the PL400 takes over with the PP caps inline at 83Hz-800Hz, then on to the Rotel for the mids and horns. I think this is gonna work till I get WOPL'd! Total system power is now 4.05 horsepower

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Gepetto, what value would I use for a 40hz high pass for the same amp (400 series I), and where can I find the formulas used for these calculations?

Thanks

Andrew

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Gepetto, what value would I use for a 40hz high pass for the same amp (400 series I), and where can I find the formulas used for these calculations?

Thanks

Andrew
Divide 3.24806 x 10 to the minus 6 by the frequency you are interested in.

for 40 Hz that would be 0.0812 uF, the nearest value will be 0.082uF

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Divide 3.24806 x 10 to the minus 6 by the frequency you are interested in.

for 40 Hz that would be 0.0812 uF, the nearest value will be 0.082uF
Thanks. If I was to apply this to another amp with a different input impedance, how would I calculate that? I assume the constant was calculated based on the impedance? I need to find a good book to read up on this stuff!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thanks. If I was to apply this to another amp with a different input impedance, how would I calculate that? I assume the constant was calculated based on the impedance? I need to find a good book to read up on this stuff!

Joe, you never did answer this. Does input impedance have an effect on this??