Let's talk about preamps !

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
For my preamp i'm using a pioneer VSX-D810S reciever. The amps in it are not worth a dime but it has all the preamp out's I need. To me it is so complacated. That dont mean it is... lol. Who makes a good ... easy to operate 5.1 preamp ????

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I use a Yamaha C-80...tuned up by Avionic,,,,,I also have Phase Linear and a Macintosh currently not in use,,I use a Sony for 5-1 for video but I don,t think the 5-1 works any more but I don,t really care

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I've been pretty pleased with Denon's offerings on the pre-amp level. But it's been years since Ive looked at any 5.1 pre's. There are some nice pieces to be had from Lexicon, B&K or even adcom for chump change. No HDMI or HD master audio or whatever, but whatever?

Might be nice to find a pre with a 5.1 input though?

kevin

I've got a denon AVR-3000... In it's day it was a bad ass. The thing was about 3 grand. Now I just got it bridged and just use it for a tweeter amp. Its just pro logic not 5.1. In the winter I watch ALOT of movies and tv. Nothing like having a plane fly across the tv and you feel like its going to crash in the back of the room. LOL... Maybe no 5.1 preamp is real easy to operate. I just feel like this Pioneer is a pain in the ass to get right. Maybe they are all that way. Maybe I need to go to school on 5.1 SURROUND ???? LEE..... I find what you said real hard to believe !!! LOL !!

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
At one pint I had a Technics. Converter from 2 channel to 5.1 DD. Was passive but the lights. Sort of like my DBX. I was running Marantz mono-blocs and my Hafler.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Kervin, I live in Gillette, Wyo. Not a hotbed for cutting edge, state of the art home entertainment sampling. Can't say as I knowingly knew I was listening to any type of system other than standard 2 channel.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
laatsch55 said:
Kervin, I live in Gillette, Wyo. Not a hotbed for cutting edge, state of the art home entertainment sampling. Can't say as I knowingly knew I was listening to any type of system other than standard 2 channel.
I have to agree, I no nuthin' about the fancy multi-channel preamps, I only use the good old stuff, still miss my Marantz 2270 receiver a preamp, nice warm 3 martini sound, colored...Hell yeah but still tits!! (.)(.)!!!

I'll never sell my SAE P102 Preamp, it does have dual pre-outs for some multi channel sound effects, that's all multi channel sound is..a sound effect IMHO...no offense meant.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Outlaw 990 processor, extremely well done and great 7.1 implementation. Outlaw is between models at the moment and has encountered a development setback that has cost them several years. The 990 is still available on the used market.

For 2 channel, the Yamaha C-2a (hard to find) and C2x (harder to find) are Mercedes Benz class preamps.

kevin

Gepetto said:
Outlaw 990 processor, extremely well done and great 7.1 implementation. Outlaw is between models at the moment and has encountered a development setback that has cost them several years. The 990 is still available on the used market.

For 2 channel, the Yamaha C-2a (hard to find) and C2x (harder to find) are Mercedes Benz class preamps.
Thank you. Sutton told me the same thing about the Outlaw. I'm going to check into that. Where is my best bet to try to find one? eBay, Audiogon or where do you think? Two channel doesn't do it for me...I like to dodge bullets and duck for airplanes..

kevin

Wow.... Just checked it out.... My mind is made up... Sutton and yourself both told me about the OUTLAW... I will have one of those in a few months. Thanks.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hmm.. just so happens I'm experimenting a bit with preamps since the new speaks arrived. I have one "on the way" (I'll show ya's when it gets here). Tried out the Yamaha C-60 for awhile.

But NOW.. hmmmm... I have to say it again... For an old 5.1 surround rig, the Nakamichi AV-1 is something else entirely. I'm using the preamp on it (it has jumpers for fronts, rears, and center). Got it connected to the M-80 now, and the CV's are *staying off* at the moment (mebbe I can wean myself away enough to sell 'em off.. ).

We'll see when this "new" one comes next week, but this Nak is really sounding very VERY good with the M80 providing the "umph". Earlier I had both amps Crown and Yamaha going with all 4 speakers.... I almost did deafen myself there, heheh. BUT.. it's after hours and the folks are in bed, and the new Polks are singing good so the CV's are staying off for now.

Seriously tho.. if you're ok at the 5.1 level.. AV-1... Really nice sounder... :cheers: