Laz's Record Cleaning Machine (RCM)

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Some time ago, I did a Craigslist deal and ended up with some turntables, including a Technics SL-220. It lacked a headshell, belt, platter mat, and dust cover. I eventually decided to turn it into an RCM. I installed a large rubber band for a cheap belt, speed stability not being an issue, a platter mat off a Dual I no longer had, and a plastic headshell of unknown brand. The cleaning was to be done with the red plush pad off my autocleanica (AT6002) - it always did a good job, but was clumsy to use. The hardest thing was figuring out how to mount the pad to the headshell, and I finally hit on a steel pin through the center hole, held in place with a very simple rubber band. I run this at 45 rpm with speed adjustment maxed, anti-skate at zero, and counterweight removed. It does a good job for a non-wet RCM.

Attachments

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I did my first "real" cleaning today, and will spin the LP (Surrealistic Pillow) for music after I post this. One pass of the red pad picked up a lot of junk, with a few drops of D4 fluid...see photos.

Attachments