KLH Model 7

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Any opinions one way or the other? A mint pair of these acoustic suspension vintage speakers has come up on CL locally.

Anyone had any experience with these?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
No, but doing a little reading I see the early ones were veneered plywood, maybe from 1958-60. Couple people said they are sealed units, have to cut the cabinet to get inside to service it.
Same woofer as the model 6 but bigger cabinet volume, so less power handling.
Might be a decent speaker but looks really old and dated today. I've been watching AR-3 since you talked about them. Very expensive even for mismatched beaters. Then started looking at Large Advents. A pair of stacked Large Advents(two per channel) looks to me like fun and reasonable money for old speakers. Don't think I really would go for anything older in consumer speakers. Case in point are the Pioneer CS-99 I have, probably from 1969. Not that good. Newer cheaper 1980s Pioneer CS-something I have blow them away.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah the cabinets are very nicely constructed but allegedly, they epoxied in the drivers to the mounting board in their quest for acoustic suspension...

Kind of a bummer.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No, but doing a little reading I see the early ones were veneered plywood, maybe from 1958-60. Couple people said they are sealed units, have to cut the cabinet to get inside to service it.
Same woofer as the model 6 but bigger cabinet volume, so less power handling.
Might be a decent speaker but looks really old and dated today. I've been watching AR-3 since you talked about them. Very expensive even for mismatched beaters. Then started looking at Large Advents. A pair of stacked Large Advents(two per channel) looks to me like fun and reasonable money for old speakers. Don't think I really would go for anything older in consumer speakers. Case in point are the Pioneer CS-99 I have, probably from 1969. Not that good. Newer cheaper 1980s Pioneer CS-something I have blow them away.
I think that Advents have foam surrounds on the drivers which I am not a fan of. The AR3a speakers moved to foam surrounds which is why they command so much less than the original AR3s. Sometimes what is billed as an improvement is not an improvement.

Steve K

Journeyman
Tagline
---
In response to George I have a pair of large Advents sitting on top of a pair of cs-99a’s that sound really good to my burnt out ears. 700b powers the 99’s and a Carver 400t cube runs the Advents. Both are run out of a Carver C1.

George S.

If you want the AR-3, then I'd wait.
I delivered pizzas in a college town while in high school and later on and off during college in the 70s. Saw and heard many systems during that time and found I often got bigger tips with a short engagement with the customer about their systems.
JBL was most often the most highly favored.

George S.

In response to George I have a pair of large Advents sitting on top of a pair of cs-99a’s that sound really good to my burnt out ears. 700b powers the 99’s and a Carver 400t cube runs the Advents. Both are run out of a Carver C1.
I run my CS-99 upstairs in a small bedroom with a 400 WOPL and upgraded PL2000 S2 preamp. I like those speakers for the furniture grade construction, and they sound good at moderate levels, which is the reason I put them in a small room. I did open them up and make a list of parts to rebuild the crossovers, but decided it just wasn't worth the money and effort.
I have a newer pair of CS-G305 and they are much better speakers, but typical particle board and vinyl construction.
I need to find someone in the neighborhood that would like and keep the CS-99, they weigh a ton.

Attachments