Kev's "Cobble Together a Good 3000 PL Preamp" thread...

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
I'll be darn !!!! You sure you aint pulling my leg Jer ?? I'm ready man... Im ready for it.. I went yesterday and bought another pair of speakers... Thats makes two pair in two weeks.. LOL.. and I got plenty of amps !!! I'm ready to try it out Jer !!! Timming was perfect !!!! I will have one source with a volume ! My little I-POD has volume ! Thank you Jerry !!!! Thank you Lee !!!!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
And... the moment we've all been waiting for....

YO KEV - FEDEX 770124764521 !!! I'll be dropping it off tomorrow so you should get er Saturday....:thumbright:

So here's the deal... You have two line inputs plus a phono (MM only). If you want to put a deck in play, use the jumpers on the back (the tape deck will then be "in line" with the signal... ). If you want the absolute "anal level" of sound purity and you just have a CD player - pull the jumpers and hook it right into the input (the set on the right as you're looking at it).

(bout damn time.. yeah I know...). Anywhoo.. one final interesting tidbit... I had my suspicions that the one I originally had was "special" in one way or another. One thing was even at 16 volts now on the rails, the output relay was still working... even with that 15 volt zener in the switching circuit. Well, I was able to put it together when discovering .. somehow... that we had 24 volts on the high side of the relays. I was WTF'ing for a few secs, but then REMEMBER .. a few posts back I did mention some sort of "mod" that wasn't present in the other two. Well.. that mod ... it sure appears to me that it's a 24 volt regulator IC (very simple one at that... ) that is in parallel with the two original/main regulators!! So it would seem that someone split off the relay voltage, out and away from the amp voltages. Makes good sense if you think about it...

Kev let us know how ya like it!! Should be swimming in good tunes by Saturday, my friend!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Good job Jer.... some got the mod and some didn't, and the factory or authorized service places did it if they upgraded the relays....

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I was about to say I couldn't finds it ...but then!! Nohing gets by the ol Laatscheroooo.......

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I had to look at the photos two or three times before it jumped out - in plain sight but oh so hidden. Nice job with this Jer - Kevin should have a preamp to do his other equipment justice. I'm looking into some better power supply regulation for a preamp.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So, it's a big secret or what?? Ya know some of the noobs have never seen Navo board or wiring work.......

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Well here's a fun thread from the past! But after reading the whole thing, I don't know how pleased Kevin was.......or better yet, still is?
Has Jerry perfected the jbeckva mods for Pl3000 series 2 preamps?
Has the process been documented?
How many more have been done in the past five years?

I have one here & am pondering the possibilities.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well as it's been five years and ... I cannah remember nuttin. 'Bout par for the course nowadays.

They were a bitch if recall right LOL. I think I still have mine in the dirty sock locker. I'll have to drag it out and see..

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Thanks Jer. What are you using now? I'm pre pre shopping & want something I'll be happy with for awhile.

Hey; you don't have to dig that out for me. I just wondered if it was still in use.

Last edited: