Just In Case's PL 400 to Wopl Conversion

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
What does Jani use to clean them up Lee? I have some industrial stainless steel cleaner that I use, does not hurt the lettering but does not always take off that weird haze you see on them sometimes

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My Spec 2 went into protection mode in 2008 . So I bought a few broken PL 400's off e-bay, and with a lot of help from EW, mark the fixer, Don Imlay and Joe.....I eventually learned how to swap out parts.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And yes, I did get my Spec 2 restored and went on to fix a few more. I did a lot of reading, utterly destroyed a driver board for an L85 V Luxman ( which belonged to someone else and wound up buying cause I couldn't fix it) , and have probably drove Joe nuts in the last few years with questions I should have known the answers to working on the stuff I was trying to fix. I was in over my head a lot, but it eventually started to make sense...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
This is an early 400, so the bias transistor holes have to be relocated to accept the backplanes. For anyone interested the center to center measurment from the upper pilot hole to the bias tranny hole is 2-11/32nds....

Attachments

Steve K

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Lee , I was looking at the picture of the rectifier and have a question. The green wires I'm guessing go to the DCP but what are the shielded wires for?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The green wires go to the unfused +/- rail connections on the caps. The shielded wires are the + AC secondary voltage and ground to feed the DC protect relay voltage.