Jury is in on stock PL 400 series 1

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
After a few day running my new old stock PL 400 I have come to my conclusion on weather I like it or not. I have a pair of speakers that love power and need an amp with a lot of head room at high volume, I used to drive these speakers with a Carver TFM 55 and they sounded great. The stock PL 400 not so great yea they are loud but I can hear distortion like the amp runs out of gas (not enough head room) when I crank it. So the question I need to figure out is, is it worth putting money into building a WOPL 400, will it make that much difference or am I better off going up to the PL700, or maybe just get another Carver..... or just stop listening to music so loud! lol

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Too bad you didn't live closer, I'd bring a WOPL 700 over... It WILL do the job.

Now, this is my own opinion and I stand by it... When the parts for a 400 cost about the same as a 700, why build a 400.... If you have to sell the 400 WOPL, it will NOT command the price of a 700B/Ser II WOPL.....

Just MY opinion and I do not knock what the other brothers and sisters do at all.....

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Too bad you didn't live closer, I'd bring a WOPL 700 over... It WILL do the job.

Now, this is my own opinion and I stand by it... When the parts for a 400 cost about the same as a 700, why build a 400.... If you have to sell the 400 WOPL, it will NOT command the price of a 700B/Ser II WOPL.....

Just MY opinion and I do not knock what the other brothers and sisters do at all.....
Exactly you and I are on the same page...... I'm thinking for now to put the 400 build aside the 400 I have here now is running good so I have an amp that is getting me by now... like the B's cool meters with the blue better than the boring II's :toothy5: