Jolly Green Giant 700B in work

Opinions

• Total voters

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
This is the shit that I just have to shake my head at. Dude want's me to build him a pre and an amp... He want's to pump $4000 into a 4000t Can you imagine changing out ALL THE RESISTORS?????? There is about 10 circuit boards full of resistors..... I threw up the Bullshit Flag...... Not that I couldn't do it, but I can't imagine having to deal with the customer....

I just purchased a Carver 4000t preamlifier.
Could you please help me out with the following mods?
I would wish to change all, critical signal path resistors with Amtrans AMRG Carbon Film of suitable wattage and resistance, the rest of the resistors, all remaining ones, may be the Amtrans AMRT & Amtrans AMRG AMRA ones.
For the polar capacitors I would prefer all low value Rubycon premium ones and high value/voltage may be from Mundorf. The critical non polar capacitors I would prefer Jupiter copper foil paper & wax capacitors the others non critical, non polar capacitors may be as per your advise as to tonality.
As to all switches & rotary controls, please advise in your opinion which would be the best option as to longevity & sound quality is concerned.
Also as to the IC's, please propose accordingly.
All in all I am looking for a complete overall, to bring this unit to current standards.
With the service manual for the Carver 4000t available on line, my ultimate dream would be to replace the transistors in the output stage with 6922 vacuum tubes as in the Carver C 19. Can that be achieved?
All help to achieve the above would be greatly appreciated.
Also just wondering if you have a fully modified 700 Series Two/B WOPL...the one with the LED's available for sale?
Thanks and best regards,
Junia.
P.S. Apart from rear amplifiers and a "Normal" and "Wide" switch at the rear are there any differences between the Carver 4000t & Carver 4000 pre-amplifiers? Can you please advise?
I think maybe this fella's been reading way too much on the AK site

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I tried the paper in oil trick in the Larrt's tube preamp...that was a pain in the ass...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
UV filter is not the same as a circular polarizer. You can rotate the polarizer to, for example, take the glare off water or a window so you can see in/under. It can reduce the intense light specifically and help.

UV filters only filter UV. They can help with haze outside and also protect the primary but not much else.

Color filters will effect the entire frame. Expect funky results doing that. I had/have a few that are one third/two thirds filters for sunsets n shit. They enhance the reds and oranges to make sunsets look better than they are.

I bought a CPL (it came in a kit with a UV filter and some other worthless junk)..... It didn't work.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I tried purple and of course Green for the WOPL Insert and just did the green. Now I took it partially apart to install the thermal switches and polish the WOPL insert and do some detailing of the meters. But have been listening to it for a couple days. Rock on.

View attachment 39998

Matter of fact, it looks worse with the filter

IMG_6168.jpg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Now yer saying the UV is the one you would have tried? Up goes the BS flag
No, I’m saying the contrary. You rotated the filter and at no point it looked better?

“It”(the polarizer) is what I would have tried. Any colored filter would skew the entire color

now you do a short exposure with the lights on and then a long exposure with the lights off (camera fixed) and combine the images in photoshop.

With film you could overvexpose and dodge it in the darkroom when you do your enlargements.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Hey Perry, I'm liable to embarrass myself with this idea but try photographing the amp in the same light as that in post 79. Shoot several frames and send me the full size file of the one that has the best exposure of the meters. I expect the black will be far too dark to use as is but I'm going to try playing with the shadow and contrast adjustments in Photoshop to see if I can pull the blacks up while leaving the meters' exposure alone. Gonna PM my email address to you now if you want to try this. You can respond with the one file - as long as the jpeg doesn't go over 20 mb, it will pass through my email filters.

Edit - don't use a flash of any kind, just the natural daylight in the room.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hey Perry, I'm liable to embarrass myself with this idea but try photographing the amp in the same light as that in post 79. Shoot several frames and send me the full size file of the one that has the best exposure of the meters. I expect the black will be far too dark to use as is but I'm going to try playing with the shadow and contrast adjustments in Photoshop to see if I can pull the blacks up while leaving the meters' exposure alone. Gonna PM my email address to you now if you want to try this. You can respond with the one file - as long as the jpeg doesn't go over 20 mb, it will pass through my email filters.

Edit - don't use a flash of any kind, just the natural daylight in the room.
I appreciate it but I'm done with it. It's things like this that keep me from drinking ALL day..... :)