jolida jd9II phono pre ! whos the phono stage whiz here?

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
i just got this stcock about 2 months back . its ok i ike it and it has tons of gain but jolida offered a uprgrded version for 200 more with better caps and op boards i believe .i really dont know sit on the fix it end.but what im getting at has anybody here have any input on this pre or this model ? because i had a 1200$ musical fidelity m1viny and it was sweet as hell but i sent it back and got this jolida.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has a piece of Jolida gear here. 502brc integrated. I had considered the phono seriously. I had regular AC issues where I lived at the time so I went with a battery pre. I still wonder about it as it is thier most well reviewed product. As far as upgrades, I'm in the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" camp. Is there anything wrong with it? What do you like/not like about it?

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has a piece of Jolida gear here. 502brc integrated. I had considered the phono seriously. I had regular AC issues where I lived at the time so I went with a battery pre. I still wonder about it as it is thier most well reviewed product. As far as upgrades, I'm in the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" camp. Is there anything wrong with it? What do you like/not like about it?
Im using the 502crc I love the amp. The phono stage is good but it don't sing like that mf one did. Now I tried the pro ject box tube,Cambridge 650p and the jolida smokes those but I was just gettin a feel to see what the upgrades accomplished. I'm not a fixer lol . I know on ak there's a huge thread dedicated to the jolida phono mods but it don't make sence to me. Because I don't know what there talking about. I do like the gain it has it don't mess around there. But just a tad bit lifeless sounding. It has 2 ax7s in it. There new tung sols that came in it.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Jason, the thing you have to remember is to match the phono stage to the cartridge used and then match the cartridge to speakers used. A bright cart used with CV's is a challenge, that's why I sent you that one cart as it sounds good with CV speakers, very warm and not harsh on the topend

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Jason, the thing you have to remember is to match the phono stage to the cartridge used and then match the cartridge to speakers used. A bright cart used with CV's is a challenge, that's why I sent you that one cart as it sounds good with CV speakers, very warm and not harsh on the topend
That was really nice & sounds like good advice. What cart?

@Jason why did you get rid of the MF and get the Jolida?

Northwinds

Tagline

IIRC, a Pickering V15, not harsh on the topend. They are overlooked carts because purists refuse to believe a Pickering can be good

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I don't know anything about them. If I could afford it I'd try as many different carts as I had time and patience for. I've heard they made nice carts in the past. Do they still?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Pretty sure Stanton owns them now.

I have a Pickering cart with 10mV output . Probably not the best sounding cart ever but great for partying and getting some loud vinyl.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
On my Pioneer PL-630 I run a Pickering XSV-4000 and I have an old Pickering V-15 as a back-up cartridge. Nice combination and I don't hear much about anyone running Pickering cartidges.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I almost forgot but I do have a Pickering U38. I think if I dropped it in a sock I could swing it around and knock someone out with it lol.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I almost forgot but I do have a Pickering U38. I think if I dropped it in a sock I could swing it around and knock someone out with it lol.
A U-38 is going back some time, Joe. Was it on a Garrard tt?

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Yes Nando quite right on both accounts. 1965 moving iron. I never got a needle for that one.
I have a Shure even older then that, a M55EM that sounds great. I keep it up as a backup backup. It was on a Thorens TD-125

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I have a Shure even older then that, a M55EM that sounds great. I keep it up as a backup backup. It was on a Thorens TD-125
i haven't heard that one but I bought another parts Garrard changer that had an M3D. I ordered a needle from JICO and wow, I was really surprised at the sound. Thorens look so nice to me, hasn't been in the cards.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world

I got the mf from crutchfield it was 1200$ . I use crutchfield because they have the 60day money back deal. So that way I can try things and see what they are like before I spend a ton. But either way I sent it back to try a diff one. But then they discontinued it. I called them but they were gone. So then I was told by a lot of ppl and reviews how great the jolida was. I have a buddy that's a jolida dealer so he got this for me for 425 shipped from jolida to me. I wish I had the mf back !!
They have a whole thread on ak about modded out jd9s but this is the new jd9II . So I don't know. Like I said jolida offered a 200$ upgrade but I went stock. I don't know if I should try to get my money back out of this one and find the other. I swear the whoas of a listener!!! Lol

Northwinds

Tagline
i haven't heard that one but I bought another parts Garrard changer that had an M3D. I ordered a needle from JICO and wow, I was really surprised at the sound. Thorens look so nice to me, hasn't been in the cards.
Have you tried a Shure V15 type V w/ the Jico SAS? Mine gets used very sparingly but it is probably one of the best combos I have ever heard. It's a little more detailed then the Shure V15 type II with a NOS Shure Super Track that is my primary. Both are ultra light trackers though

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
There's a lot I haven't tried... Especially older carts. I did use a Shure M97xe/JICO SAS and I liked it for awhile.

On the Jolida. $200 for a manufacturer upgrade doesn't seem bad. Different tubes. It'll sound different. But will you like it more then the MF? No one can know that.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
There's a lot I haven't tried... Especially older carts. I did use a Shure M97xe/JICO SAS and I liked it for awhile.

On the Jolida. $200 for a manufacturer upgrade doesn't seem bad. Different tubes. It'll sound different. But will you like it more then the MF? No one can know that.
Yeah I was just more seeing if anybody here has done the upgrade and how much better it was after. At this point I'm kinda stuck with it. So I'm gonna swap tubes and keep changing switches and hopefully it will grow on me lol

Northwinds

Tagline
Yeah I was just more seeing if anybody here has done the upgrade and how much better it was after. At this point I'm kinda stuck with it. So I'm gonna swap tubes and keep changing switches and hopefully it will grow on me lol
It looks like it never will Bro. Just sell it and plan for the WOPL. A good preamp like a Perreaux SA 2 or SA 3 can be had for waaaaayy cheaper and will smoke that upgraded or not. In fact, it smokes quite a few preamps even to this day, tube or SS. If you research them, you will see they have highly regarded phono sections for MM and MC as well as unbalanced with multiple settings and are as quiet as a mouse. Cost less then $500 usually, I have seen them sell for $300. First chance I get, I am ditching both my Carver preamps and getting one. The Carver's are fine but I think the WOPL's and the Perreaux would be a magical matchup

EDIT: IIRC the preamps were over $3k new and that was in 1980s dollars. They are true highend

Last edited:

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
It looks like it never will Bro. Just sell it and plan for the WOPL. A good preamp like a Perreaux SA 2 or SA 3 can be had for waaaaayy cheaper and will smoke that upgraded or not. In fact, it smokes quite a few preamps even to this day, tube or SS. If you research them, you will see they have highly regarded phono sections for MM and MC as well as unbalanced with multiple settings and are as quiet as a mouse. Cost less then $500 usually, I have seen them sell for $300. First chance I get, I am ditching both my Carver preamps and getting one. The Carver's are fine but I think the WOPL's and the Perreaux would be a magical matchup

EDIT: IIRC the preamps were over $3k new and that was in 1980s dollars. They are true highend

Ill lll have to look into this Ron and see what is around! I have np going older if there good!