Jolida 502 BRC integrated

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Hey all,
I have owned this integrated for about a year and a half now and it's been really pleasant to listen too.
Being that it was my first tube purchase, I was a bit nervous, especially because I usually don't spend this kind of money on any gear, new or otherwise, and this was new.

My thought behind the purchase was based on some past experiences with other tube gear I have listened too, and thought it might be the answer to an issue that I tend to experience with most gear. Fatigue.

I bought it at Spearit Sound, picked it up there actually. When I got it home, it was completely sealed, but the remote was missing! After a few emails and a week or so, they had one sent to me-whew.

I immediatly like the sound on my Snell CIV's. It really smoothed out the sound and vocals were amazing. Still, those big Snells were just a bit to bright/forward in my little space.

I found a set of Snell EII's and that was just what the doctor ordered. Mellow tone.

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, but one thing the Jolida could never do is keep up with piano music. It just can't deal with the percussion and the complexity of it. It's fine on all other instruments, even drum kits. But mushy piano.

After awhile, switching back to the ol' Pioneer, I was shown once again how good that SX-1280 can be, and o yeah, no problems with piano lol. It does a great job overall really.

Funny thing when I got the Jolida, one of the RCA jacks was totally loose. Just recently, I went in and fixed it (loose nut). It was kind of a bitch to get at, as I had to remove a shield cover. Then... I discovered something else.

The amp has something called EZ-Bias. You set it until the led lights up and yer done. Now I understand that these lights can flicker but they would go completely out. So then after awhile I would do it again, and again. And again.
One day I decided to just check it all with a voltmeter and set them that way. Based on the way the lights were not working, it seemed the best way.
However, what I found when I was working on the RCA, there was a four wire molex plug hardly plugged in and sitting at an angle!
This turned out to be somehow connected to those bias wires. Now the EZ-Bias actually works, and these tubes are keeping the bias too.

So really, although there are some really solid parts on this overall, the QC, as I have suspected from the beginning isn't up to par with other manufacturers of fine components. When you look real closely on the outside and in, you can see that, well, it is what it is.
For example, the chassis is really a beast, but black paint can cover drill holes that look as if it took 2 tries to fit. Circuit boards that look sort of cheap etc.
As a matter of fact, I saw a spot on one of the boards that looked like possible heat damage but who knows!

Anyway, I've enjoyed the sound of it so far. But QC leaves me cold.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Can't remember the piano on the Chinese tube gear. On the Cary it is in your face right there. That is what I liked. Don't know if rolling tubes will help. What kind of tweeter are in the Snells?

Larry

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Silk/coated on the EII, Aluminum with phase guide on the CIV. I emailed the guy at underwood. He thought it could be a power issue/ a piano strike are the most demanding. Your Cary's are more powerful no? Also, snell is not very efficient

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Ah ha! You know, the Gold Lion KT88 might just be a good upgrade too. I think one of my tubes might be on its way out.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm still thinking on it, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Larry, when you mentioned the gem-dandy record cleaner one day, it sent me surfing. That guy, George Merrill, has quite a history with audio and TT's. He has been very kind and so far responsive to emails. He is also a Jolida dealer and feels they are good product for the money (especially the phono stage). However he did mention that better transient response would be with other tube equipment.