Johan's Phase Linear 700B Fully Comp Conversion

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
More Gov't involvement...nothing stopping you from building a cement themed house....other than money of course. Get the gov't involved and it will get more expensive...

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
The yellw bias + for the positive led, the yellow bias- for the negative lead, got mini grabbers or just straight leads?? And I agree, if the bias was at 160 mv, it probably sounded like shit...
Hold on there ... It should be yellow bias + and grey OUTPUT for the - lead. Bias - to Bias + is going to give you double the reading because bias - is measuring across the 10 ohm on the negative side. Adjusting for 380 there is going to actually give you half the bias voltage required.

Or just like he had it with one on the bias TP on the PL14, the other on the output.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
You are absolutely correct Jer!! On each side of the 10 ohm resistor shows 160 mv or so..Where does your pot wind up, on yours? I've got the Pig adjusted up , will monitor heatsink temp.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That's why my THD & N's were high...I'll put the Pig on the AP at 160mv and run a qick scan and bump it up and run another one..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Um.....yep, glad that mystery is solved... THD & N figures are great.....nothing wring with the AP...just the operator..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
THD & N figures are more than doubled when adjusted like I had it....Good catch JER!!!!! I feel stupidddd....

Good way to start the day...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
All owners of previously adjusted amps have been notified of low bias issue and how to cure it...thankfully it was just on the fully comp models...

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
All owners of previously adjusted amps have been notified of low bias issue and how to cure it...thankfully it was just on the fully comp models...
Glad you caught it before mine. My dumb ass would of prob had to send it back for that. As I know how to do nothing to a amp except abuse it!!!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
You are absolutely correct Jer!! On each side of the 10 ohm resistor shows 160 mv or so..Where does your pot wind up, on yours? I've got the Pig adjusted up , will monitor heatsink temp.
Gotta look, but a little on the "high" end. It still has a few mV to go tho...

Glad ya found the issue! Yeah, the -bias TP (I think.. Joe correct me...) is just as a double check where the reading across the 10 ohm on the positive half SHOULD match the reading across the negative (neg lead to -bias, pos lead to "output"). A "balance check", if ya think of it that way.

johan1212

Journeyman
Tagline
---
ok...lee....to make it clear for a non tech dude.....reajust bias on the backplanes(what I did)...or on the board and and positive of protection board(speaker)..?..pos probe to board....neg probe to protection board....correct?..

so when i was reading 160mV between board and speaker,it was wrong bias?...sorry....a bit confused..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes, I was wrong Johan.... Positive test lead to the DRIVER BOARD bias test point , negarive lead on the positive speaker post , set bias to 385mv...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gotta look, but a little on the "high" end. It still has a few mV to go tho...

Glad ya found the issue! Yeah, the -bias TP (I think.. Joe correct me...) is just as a double check where the reading across the 10 ohm on the positive half SHOULD match the reading across the negative (neg lead to -bias, pos lead to "output"). A "balance check", if ya think of it that way.

Yep, positive and negative bias should be within 10%...let's not sugar coat it Jer, it was a SEVERE blonde moment...

johan1212

Journeyman
Tagline
---
ok.....warming up.....am sure it will be perfect now....give me like 1 hour.....happy that this forum helped so much....wow...thanks a lot to all here...am excited to finaly hear it nicely...see you in 45 minutes....YYYEEESSSSS>>>>