Jelco Or Rega Arm for Linn LP12

braxus

Journeyman
Since Im keeping my Linn LP 12 turntable instead of replacing it outright, I need to replace the arm on it. My two choices through the store I go to is the Jelco 750 arm or the Rega RB303 arm. The Jelco is a good match for the Linn, but is the Rega? Which of these two arms is a better performer? I like the look of the Rega better, but not sure if its a good match or not. Is the Rega a better arm then the Jelco being more expensive? Final thing- what cable connector does the Rega use? Is it the same as the Jelco with the plug in 90 degree connector?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Since Im keeping my Linn LP 12 turntable instead of replacing it outright, I need to replace the arm on it. My two choices through the store I go to is the Jelco 750 arm or the Rega RB303 arm. The Jelco is a good match for the Linn, but is the Rega? Which of these two arms is a better performer? I like the look of the Rega better, but not sure if its a good match or not. Is the Rega a better arm then the Jelco being more expensive? Final thing- what cable connector does the Rega use? Is it the same as the Jelco with the plug in 90 degree connector?
Question:
What leads you to the statement that "The Jelco is a good match for the Linn" ? Is that the advice from the store?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes it was the store, since he's seen Jelco's on LP12s before. And its a 9inch arm, and doesn't weigh alot, which is what I need.
Both are good tonearms. The SME 3009 or 3012 is one to consider as well, a classic. A spec that should be given but never is, is effective mass when measured at the head shell.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Both are good tonearms. The SME 3009 or 3012 is one to consider as well, a classic. A spec that should be given but never is, is effective mass when measured at the head shell.
I'm in total agreement with Joe on this. It's not so much 'is the arm a good match for the table, but is the arm a good match with your cart'.

Scott, the SME 3009 was designed for the Linn and it's similar Swiss built Thorens cousins.

braxus

Journeyman
Stereo shop installed the Jelco arm for me and it looks good on the table. He will install my Dynavector cart onto it soon. I should have the Linn back home sometime next month when the base shows up.

braxus

Journeyman
Well I've had the Linn back home since early this week. Everything that had issues on it has been fixed. No bouncing transport issues, no tracking problems, and no arm skating across the surface. Noise off vinyl is minimal now and is sounding quite good for what I've played so far. The Jelco arm did the trick. I had to adjust the arm by rotating it slightly, since the arm wouldn't initially play the beginning of the record due to the arm support. Fixed now. So instead of getting myself a new table, I saved myself some money and paid only for the arm and a couple other items. Now it is time to break in all this stuff I bought in the last 12 months for playing vinyl. Dynamics are still squished with my tube setup, but its sounding much better in other areas now.