JBL L40

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
JBL L40 speakers. Missing woofers. Come with grills and badges also. One tweeter looks perfect, other one the dust cap is pushed in a little bit. Make me an offer. Located in Montana. I'll try to add pics later or try texting me for faster pics or more info. 701-269-1075

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I was quickly scanning your post and I thought I read..." Comes with girls and bangles"....now that would have been a deal....

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That's a dust cap, there is a diaphragm underneath it protects. If you hear no difference the tweeters should be just fine.

http://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/l40-e.html

The tweeters are 033 (2.5 cm or 5" DIAMETER) and the woofers are 127A (10").

Here are searches for both below. At 35 watts rated power they are a very good small speaker system for their era (1979) especially in a group of four. Even though many of us here are from the hi-watt camp there is nothing bad about an SPL of 88 dB.

Here is a single 033 for sale currently on eBay with blemishes. It's true that pairs are running cheaper at the moment, and the DIAPHRAGM for one costs more than the speakers but...

The dome isn't really as big a deal as it sounds, unless you hate grilles and are sorta OCD and anal about stuff. JBL apparently recommends replacing 033 with 052Ti and in pairs but it's a different beast for some.

033 haven't been made in years and the replacement parts were discontinued as well but there were a number of models that used them.

From eBay search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.TRC0.H0.Xjbl+033.TRS0&_nkw=jbl+033&_sacat=0

Here is a pair of 127A needing surrounds: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-10-JBL-Model-127A-Woofers-Free-Shipping-/301849089302

Here are a few repair kits, even a reconing kit: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...TRC0.H0.Xjbl+127a.TRS0&_nkw=jbl+127a&_sacat=0

What do your grilles look like? Please post some pictures of the speakers as they are for all of us.

orange

Tagline
I was quickly scanning your post and I thought I read..." Comes with girls and bangles"....now that would have been a deal....
You may indeed have a complete Shpongle addiction...

orange

Tagline
I believe that is called a 'bindi'

Not this Bindi:

That's Bindi Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter's daughter, only 17 for that matter (Dancing With The Stars, at age 16)​

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Gwen Stefani stopped wearing her bindi and bagged a country feller.

orange

Tagline
There were some 10" Radio Shack woofers in there when you got them, you told me. I encourage you to post the model/cat. no. on the back and condition as in a lot of cases it can be looked up and you can get specs or at least Realistic/Nova/Optimus speakers they were used in and search from there. For many years Radio Shack actually sold some very good replacement speakers that you wouldn't be the least bit ashamed of.

10" woofers make for some very good sounding speakers in a nice size too...KLH Model Six, RS Optimus 1 and 2 have been some of my favorites.

I have seen search hits that mention these JBLs in quads (sets of four) and that makes a nice arrangement too, one that spreads the stereo power out efficiently through the room with better matching of sound quality throughout.

So yes, post pictures for all of us. It would be very nice, as well as the price you want and try and figure out shipping weight and dimensions...the methods some shippers us to determine prices have changed quite a bit in the last two years.

BigSkyCory

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Orange: I can not find the 10" woofers that the previous owner had in them. I think they got tossed in the garbage since they were just radio shacks.
How can I post pics from mp iPhone?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I used 8 ohm RS 10" 100w woofs to upgrade the Bose 501's in the garage. WAAAYYY better bass and power handling. I am thinking of using them in the 601 series IIs I have sitting out there with the 501s and 301s but I think they are a different ohm rating from the 601s (16ohm???)

orange

Tagline
Orange: I can not find the 10" woofers that the previous owner had in them. I think they got tossed in the garbage since they were just radio shacks.
How can I post pics from mp iPhone?
I know what they look like, you say the cosmetics are good, the question remains what do you want for them?

If they were 32 kilograms as originally packed (from a website I linked to earlier) that is a total of just under 71 pounds. Not trusting that website because my Altec Stonehenge I pair weigh about that as is. They definitely looked smaller than my KLH Sixes, more like my BIC Venturi Formula Twos and those aren't that heavy.

I don't know a thing about iPhones except that you probably drag them into your messaging routine to send an email or drag them onto the composing window somehow but my mobile distraction plays AM oldies off the air and the tape deck and FM need repair.

orange

Tagline
I think the tweeters and crossovers would be dandy but somebody really messed up the woofer holes for you. If nobody has asked you about them I might like those but I'm done with March's budget now. I'll send you a message in a minute or three.

orange

Tagline
Was there enough clearance to mount the speaker bezels behind the grilles and not physically contact them with the woofer travel? I might have some way to deal with that, even if it's not from JBL.

Get back to me and I'll see what I can figure or even help you make good speakers out of them for yourself.

orange

Tagline
Cory???

Oh Cory!

Get back to me please, especially if you have no plans for the parts.