James Burkes Phase Linear 400 Ser I

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
This was dropped off on his way through on vacation to So. Dak. Originally for Joe's cap kit. He acquiessed to a Don Imlay DC protect board, but there are certain things I just can't leave alone, like 2N5401's in Q1,2--MPSA 5172's in Q3,4-- DC offset was 34mv left side, 35mv right side. Bias 365mv left, 395 right. Diostortion is pretty bad on the left side hitting greater than 1% below 20Hz. Caps have been replaced recently by Soundsmith, Had to break those little seals that say-"Warranty void if seal broken" I just love doing that. He's due back through Monday or Tuesday, better get busy.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I know Joe. Limited budgets are a killer. What caps have an "M" for their make?? I'll see if I can get a pic. Ya know for as much time as I'd have bringing his board up to spec, I could have put a Joe board together. He's pretty active in the Portland area, maybe I should do it from a promotional standpoint.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The one I am familiar with Lee is Panasonic. The Panasonic ones that I use for the 6800uF in the cap stack has an M on it, is that what you are referring to? Or something else? Possibly the reason that they do this is that it was an acquisition by Panasonic and they kept the mark??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They look like an FC or FM but have NHG asa series number. BTW, just unpacked your cap-kit. They're lookin better all the time. Quadrupling the uf in one fell swoop, not a bad thing.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The caps with the M that has the bottom of both legs curling inward toward the center of the M are Panasonic Lee. No clue on the light blue encased ones.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The thread lock Phase used was some good stuff. The phillips pattern gave out and had to slot the screws to get a good enough grip, 2 of the 4 broke. This amp appears to have smoked at on time. thgose aren't dust stains, they're smoke stains.

What's even scarier---- no turn off thump, maybe a kerfluffle.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well of course!! No problem with the board Joe, other than rep[lacing most of the caps and transistors, and if I'm gonna do that............................ :druid: he goes in..........................

Attachments

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Maybe tomorrow Lee will be done. There are 205 parts requiring 385 solder connections on these boards (if I counted correctly). Even though Lee and I have perfect vision (right?), it takes a few sessions, so the eyeballs can rest. I think Lee holds the record, it takes me about 7 hours to put one together. This included verifying each component, pre-bending the leads, and cleaning the rosin off the board.

Mark