It's tough to keep my mouth shut about the WOPL 1000...

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Hey guys,
I've been enjoying my pair of WOPL 1000s for about three months now.
The hardest part of it is keeping my mouth shut about how great these old amplifiers can be when White Oaked.
Why keep quiet??? Because I don't want to drive up prices on this old Phase Linear gear.
It's already to the point where beaters are going for what these old girls originally sold for, and I want everyone here to have the chance to own one or two.
I'm keeping my eyes open every day on CL and other places to see if there are any available. So I keep my mouth shut when I'm on AK or other forums. Let them all say "Flame Linear" etc...we know better.
How much would it cost to replace a WOPL 1000 with a new amplifier of similar quality and agility? I shudder to think. And I KNOW that after White Oaking by a competent bench technician that these amps are going to last a long, long time.

I do have to brag a bit now...I helped out a local guy from AK this week with one of his amplifiers, an integrated Yamaha that was giving him intermittent channel dropout. Turned out to be the muting switch was dirty, so it was a very easy fix. After I cleaned and tested it in my lab, we went upstairs to my music room and I unleashed some Dire Straits SACD and some Steely Dan on my main system. He flat out said that mine is the best stereo he's ever heard, and he likes to attend hi fi meets, so I felt quite complimented.
The thing is that with a good source, clean preamp and good speakers, these WOPL 1000s simply kick ass. Words don't do them justice. I have only one regret...and that's that at age 61, after a lifetime of abuse, my ears aren't what they were when I was a kid. So I know it sounds even better than I can realize with my ears!
That's about it...my jaw drops every time I hear these Dahlquists and their matching subs cranked up. I just love them. I've got the SACD of DSOTM cranking now. It's simply amazing. I wish I could have you all over for a day of music.
So...Thanks for the design improvements, Joe. Ya done good, really good! I think the only thing I am going to do to my system to improve it now is to go to the fully complimentary outputs. I can't even imagine how outrageous that's going to sound...the only problem is that to do it I have to take my amps apart and do without for a couple of days while I rebuild the backplanes. So I'm not in a big hurry, but I bet when I get it done I'll be asking myself why I waited so long.
I can't say enough how impressive this system is. It's like listening to Dark Side Of The Moon (or any record, really) again for the first time. I'm hearing things that I've never heard before, and I probably have heard this album at least 2500 times!!!
So I'm going to try to keep from spouting off every time I hear bad remarks about PL amplifiers. But sheesh, it's hard to keep quiet. :mrgreen:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I hear you, I was on the phone with some dude bragging up his system and I mentioned I dig the PL gear a lot. He started going into this long winded diatribe about how shitty and unsafe PL stuff is. I was trying very hard not to snicker thinking that I can dust his entire system just by turning Sally on

It's a conundrum, Joe worked hard to make th PL's what they are now. He deserves to have his efforts compensated and recognition given to that fact. We need to push WOPL's because others will never know what they are missing

If it ends up that I will never be able to own a FC 700B so be it, I am not going to keep White Oak from succeeding just because I am worried about donor units costing more but I see your point clearly also, this is why it's a conundrum,,, we need our own members all having one while they are affordable BUT Joe needs some love to, he earned it

I will champion the cause and I have the pom poms and hairly legs to prove it :mrgreen:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Dave, most of em aren't going to believe a word you say until they hear it, that's been my experience. People have been so "Audiophiled" over the years it's not possible that an "anythinged" PL is going to kick any ass anytime. In a blind A/B test , IMHO, 90% would favor the WOPL........If you would get any takers....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I will champion the cause and I have the pom poms and hairly legs to prove it :mrgreen:

LMOAO!!!

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
For a 700B, I would shave my legs, get my hair done up big 80s style, put on a mini skirt and throwdown bigtime with the pom poms. I have no shame, even if my package is showing :evil4:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gotta call BS on that, you would do all that SO YOU COULD show off your package!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Dave the only l;istening I've done since the party at Tim's is on Jani's upstairs system. They are still ringing a bit. A nother day maybe, then we'll fire up the K's ....

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Dave the only l;istening I've done since the party at Tim's is on Jani's upstairs system. They are still ringing a bit. A nother day maybe, then we'll fire up the K's ....
I can dig it! Mine are ringing a bit after a session today. It sure is nice to get concert levels in your home, ain't it???:glasses8:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That's why we do it, and to shut up those annoying neighbors....

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Ya know..... I ment to ask what she had up there Lee. I know she has a good CD player up there. Whats she use for power and speakers ?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
She has a set of B & O 8" woofed 3-ways, an Akai GX-70 cassette player, an Onix CD-1, a Hitachi HCA 8500 Mk II pre- amp, a Hitachi HMA-8500 II mosfet amp and the matching tuner. Damn nice system....a little shy in the speak department, but we have that covered...

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
I would say that is sounds real good !!! One thing about it..... All ya gotta do is walk down stairs If ya should need it LOUD !