It's not getting used and it was a gift from Lee, so it's going to one of you...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's packed and ready to go, I have to wait until Monday to estimate it.

orange

Tagline
I have lots of space now, not counting where I've been assembling my last two bikes,

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I am just completing the restoration of a 1000 series 1 that I have. There are approximately (81) electrolytic capacitors that I replaced with newer Nichicon's. The next steps will be to perform the test procedure steps in the 1000 series 1 service manual. However, it does not list all the versions of pc boards nor how to adjust trim-pot R20 on the PL10 log amp pc board.

Some of the pc boards used in the 1000 series 1 were also used in the 4000 series 1 pre-amplifiers. I have found some log amp adjustment information in the 6/81 revision of the 4000 series 1 service manual under section 7-3.e.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Ed ,
trust me : replace RCA connectors soon . They are a time bomb .
Add the 39 KOhm resistor on the pot : you can adjust better the peak unlimiter threshold .
Ciao
Marco

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Thanks for the update story. The two 1000 units I've heard had no issues. I bet the amp saturation they describe happens if the 1000 is put in a pre-out main in loop.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks for the update story. The two 1000 units I've heard had no issues. I bet the amp saturation they describe happens if the 1000 is put in a pre-out main in loop.
It's a mistake to connect this kind of unit to pre out ; it' s necessary to connect it to tape out .
The thresholds will be modified according volume level .
Furthermore after connecting to pre out the right thing to do is a level equalisation of all sources in order not to adjust thresholds every time
you change input .
It's very easy , because most of gears has variable output level .
Made on a PL 1000 and two PL 4000.
The 39 k Ohm resistor transforms the pot from linear to antilog ( or exponential )
Ciao
Marco

mlucitt

I am just completing the restoration of a 1000 series 1 that I have. There are approximately (81) electrolytic capacitors that I replaced with newer Nichicon's. The next steps will be to perform the test procedure steps in the 1000 series 1 service manual. However, it does not list all the versions of pc boards nor how to adjust trim-pot R20 on the PL10 log amp pc board.

Some of the pc boards used in the 1000 series 1 were also used in the 4000 series 1 pre-amplifiers. I have found some log amp adjustment information in the 6/81 revision of the 4000 series 1 service manual under section 7-3.e.
Ed, on page 11 of my PL1000 Service Manual (Prepared 6/76) it states, the B+ voltage on the positive side of the Log Amp C13 is ".25V to 3.5V
typically 2.85V". I understood this to mean adjust R20 to read 2.85V at C13.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Ed, on page 11 of my PL1000 Service Manual (Prepared 6/76) it states, the B+ voltage on the positive side of the Log Amp C13 is ".25V to 3.5V
typically 2.85V". I understood this to mean adjust R20 to read 2.85V at C13.
Mark,

Yes I saw that as well. I should have included some verbiage (as noted below) in order to avoid comments (gotcha's) that might follow.

There were (2) different IC's used used over the years (and revisions) of the PL10 log amp pc board in Phase Linear 1000 series 1's.
The earlier version IC (Z1) was a MFC6040 and is discussed in the Phase Linear 1000 service manual. The later version IC (Z1) was a MC3340 and is not discussed in the 1000 series 1 service manual and also happens to be what I have in the 1000 series 1 I am working on. You will see the pc board parts layout and schematics are slightly different in the 1000 series 1 service manual versus the one that appears on page 29 of the 6/81 revision of the 4000 series 1 service manual.

NOTE: The 6/81 version of the 4000 series 1 service manual also has a copy of the schematic and parts layout of the earlier version of the pc board on page 30 like that shown in the 1000 series 1 service manual.

Comment: This can all get a bit confusing when you look at the schematics and parts layouts and comparing them to which version you may actually have in your 1000.

The 6/81 revision of the 4000 series 1 service manual states:
"Log Amp adjustment. For earlier log amp circuit boards with MFC6040 for Z1, drive one channel of any line level input with 200mV at 1kHz. Rotate the correlation threshold fully clockwise and adjust log amp trim pot R20 for 95mV at pin 8 of the log amp molex connector. For later log amp boards utilizing an MC3340 IC for Z1 the above procedure also applies, although due to the tolerances of the MC3340 the voltage setting may have to be set higher."
"NOTE: A listening test should always be performed after log amp adjustment to verify proper operation. The best listening test method is to connect a turntable to either of the PHONO inputs and select a recording having a particular high surface hiss passage or lead-in groove. Monitor the signal source (ideally through headphones for increased hearing sensitivity) and verify that, at fully clockwise threshold position, there is virtually no difference in signal when the correlator switch is thrown in and out. With the switch in, counterclockwise rotation of the threshold control should yield a significant decrease in hiss at the 11 to 2 o'clock threshold position range. Rotating log amp trim pot R20 CCW increases sensitivity while CW rotation decreases sensitivity."

By the way, the 1000 series two noise reduction system also used the MC3340 IC.
The 1000 series two service manual has similar verbiage:
section 6-2.7 states:
"Log amp adjustment and correlator sensitivity.
The log amplifier trim pot R25 can be set by driving one channel with a 200mV, 1KHz sine wave. With an AC voltmeter measure the voltage and the high side of correlation threshold pot R27 and adjust R25 for 95mVAC. Turning the trim pot counterclockwise will increase the output (sensitivity) of the log amp. Any fine tuning of the correlator such as setting the log amplifier for a specific phono cartridge output should be done by ear. Set the log amp trim pot R25 such that the noise from the signal source attenuates in the 11-to-2 o'clock range of the correlation threshold control."

Dean always performs these series of tests when he works on a 1000 or 4000.

By the way, Dean said that he liked the earlier log amp IC and that Bob Carver liked the later IC. If my memory serves me correct, Dean told me the reason why the change was made was because the earlier IC was no longer available and they had to use something else. Perhaps Bob wanted to show or state that any change was always made for the better?

Ed

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Ed ,
trust me : replace RCA connectors soon . They are a time bomb .
Add the 39 KOhm resistor on the pot : you can adjust better the peak unlimiter threshold .
Ciao
Marco
Marco,

As you probably are already aware of, Phase Linear used (2) different versions of RCA pc board mount jacks on the 1000, 2000 and 4000. One has a round body and the other a square body. These RCA jacks have shorting capability when not in use. On the 1000 there are a total of (8) RCA jacks. The "TAPE IN" and "INPUT" RCA jacks (a total of 4) utilize the shorting function when not in use to minimize noise, etc.

The 4000 series 1 preamp uses (22) RCA jacks. There are (12) input jacks and they all also use the shorting function when not in use. The output jacks on both the 1000 and 4000 do not utilize the shorting function and which should be obvious as to the reason why.

So which pc board mount RCA jacks are you using (mfr and model number?) I will assume that more than likely you are using a chassis mount jack and running leads to the pc board? I've done this before and its kinda ugly and makes it more difficult to remove and service the pc board in the future. If the RCA jacks are replaced with chassis mount jacks, installing shorting plugs on all the inputs that are not in use is an option but not always practical.

Most problems I've seen is with broken jacks which is generally as a result of operator error pushing the RCA plugs in to far or having the piece of gear fall on the floor and the plug pushing in too far.

By the way, I have a supply of 200+ new old stock original RCA jacks that I use as a replacements, as needed.

Ed

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Ed ,
I had to replace all Rca connectors on PL 4000 ( 2 units ) and on PL 1000 not for fun ,
but for necessity : they crumble . The problem is that plastic becomes fragile due to age .
When you insert male plugs after six months / 1 year they break due to the pressure of
the internal blades on the plastic body . Infact I have said : time bomb .
All the inputs have the short functions the reduce noise ,
but it's negligible for hi level inputs , but necessary for phono inputs .
It's very easy to fix the problem : use RCA male plugs shorted ,
like Yamaha , Pioneer , Denon
The PL 4000s have the second version of mother board with power transformer located
on the the rear panel.
Ciao
Marco

orange

Tagline
You know that Dave is getting the PL 1000 tomorrow and that he kids that he dropped out of this thread some time ago ;)

Something about how many capacitors had to be replaced :)

I didn't notice anything bad about the RCAs anyhow, or I would have brought it up.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Important note ! The quality of the boards is ugly ; it's very easy to destroy the PCB tracks
when you remove caps . Better to use a desoldeing station if you have .
Infact this operation was made by my hifi guru . The reason is that the glue between
vetronite and copper has become fragile and furthermore pcb tracks are very thin .
Use 63 V caps and not 35 V : it was a big mistake by Phase Linear .
Phase Linear fixed this issue after S/N 5000 for PL 4000 (Ed said ) .
For PL 1000 I don't know .
That' s all folks . ( I hope )
Ciao
Marco

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Important note ! The quality of the boards is ugly ; it's very easy to destroy the PCB tracks
when you remove caps . Better to use a desoldeing station if you have .
Infact this operation was made by my hifi guru . The reason is that the glue between
vetronite and copper has become fragile and furthermore pcb tracks are very thin .
Use 63 V caps and not 35 V : it was a big mistake by Phase Linear .
Phase Linear fixed this issue after S/N 5000 for PL 4000 (Ed said ) .
For PL 1000 I don't know .
That' s all folks . ( I hope )
Ciao
Marco

Marco,

It was Dean who posted the 4000 service bulletin update on our website.

ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS IN SERIES 1 (JOYSTICK) 4000's
6/00, UPDATED 6/05
(The first new service bulletin since 1982!)

COUPLING CAPACITORS:

In the past several years I have noticed a significant increase of IEC brand electrolytic capacitor failures in the Series 1 4000. These were used for several years and are clearly marked (black plastic wrap). The main culprits are the 1 and 2.2 uF values. I'm beginning to see an increase in failures of other brands but at a lower percentage.

The 4000 utilized a single ended 30-32 VDC power supply which required that all circuits be capacitor coupled. Each plug in board had electrolytic output coupling caps. Most were 1 uF/35 V. Early Logic boards with 5 uF coupling caps should be updated to 1 uF to reduce turn on/off transients.

Symptoms of bad caps are "pops" and "clicks" when switching the various circuits in and out. A good cap will measure less than 3 mv on the output (-) side. Voltages higher than this will create the aforementioned pops and clicks.

Tracing the bad caps is relatively easy with the help of the interconnect schematic in the service manual (see NOTES below). For example; if the Peak Unlimiter switch pops, it is either the caps on the output of the Peak Unlimiter or the Tone Amp PCB. Measuring the voltage on the output side of the coupling caps will reveal which ones have failed.

POWER SUPPLY CAPACITORS:

4000's up to approximately serial number 5000 had the early power supply design with a 500 uF/50 V capacitor for C2. These have low failures, regardless of brand.

Later power supply revisions used a 220 uF/63 V C2 and included a heatsink on Q1 right next to it. Heat from the heat sink may shorten the life of C2.

Typical voltages on C2 are 40-45 VDC. When C2 fails, this voltage may fall to as low as 20 VDC. Other symptoms may include failure to power up, failure to engage the switched outlet relay, and excessive hum.

Simply replace C2. Be sure to use a cap rated at 63 VDC. Do not turn the heat sink or it may short to the leads of Q1.

NOTES:

1. The 4000 service manual contains too many schematics to post on the web site. See the Owner's and Service Manual section for ordering information.

2. The Correlator PCBs contains electrolytic capacitors in the gate circuits (C13/14, C 22/27, C24 and C 25). Troubleshooting these are more difficult and is beyond the scope of this service bulletin. Because they affect gate timing, they should always be replaced in matched pairs.

3. The Peak Unlimiter also contains electrolytic capacitors in the signal path (C3/4, C15/16, C5/6, C17/18, C10/11, C22/23, C12 and C24). These should also be replaced in matched pairs.

Here is a link to an archived copy:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080705234211/http://www.hometown.aol.com/phasetek/capbull.html

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Ed ,
not always my memory serves me in the right way .
I apologize to Dean.
Anyway I discovered Dean's note after changing approx . 200 caps ( 2 X PL 4000 )
Ciao
Marco

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Ed ,
not always my memory serves me in the right way .
I apologize to Dean.
Anyway I discovered Dean's note after changing approx . 200 caps ( 2 X PL 4000 )
Ciao
Marco
Marco,

I always try to give credit where credit is due.

If it weren't for Dean's willingness to share his knowledge and time with me who knows where I'd be now?

"A good friend is someone who makes you better than you might otherwise be". (Mary Maxwell Gates - Bill's mom)

Ed

orange

Tagline
Billy's mom is pretty groovy.

mlucitt

Mark,

Yes I saw that as well. I should have included some verbiage (as noted below) in order to avoid comments (gotcha's) that might follow.

There were (2) different IC's used used over the years (and revisions) of the PL10 log amp pc board in Phase Linear 1000 series 1's.
The earlier version IC (Z1) was a MFC6040 and is discussed in the Phase Linear 1000 service manual. The later version IC (Z1) was a MC3340 and is not discussed in the 1000 series 1 service manual and also happens to be what I have in the 1000 series 1 I am working on. You will see the pc board parts layout and schematics are slightly different in the 1000 series 1 service manual versus the one that appears on page 29 of the 6/81 revision of the 4000 series 1 service manual.

NOTE: The 6/81 version of the 4000 series 1 service manual also has a copy of the schematic and parts layout of the earlier version of the pc board on page 30 like that shown in the 1000 series 1 service manual.

Comment: This can all get a bit confusing when you look at the schematics and parts layouts and comparing them to which version you may actually have in your 1000.

The 6/81 revision of the 4000 series 1 service manual states:
"Log Amp adjustment. For earlier log amp circuit boards with MFC6040 for Z1, drive one channel of any line level input with 200mV at 1kHz. Rotate the correlation threshold fully clockwise and adjust log amp trim pot R20 for 95mV at pin 8 of the log amp molex connector. For later log amp boards utilizing an MC3340 IC for Z1 the above procedure also applies, although due to the tolerances of the MC3340 the voltage setting may have to be set higher."
"NOTE: A listening test should always be performed after log amp adjustment to verify proper operation. The best listening test method is to connect a turntable to either of the PHONO inputs and select a recording having a particular high surface hiss passage or lead-in groove. Monitor the signal source (ideally through headphones for increased hearing sensitivity) and verify that, at fully clockwise threshold position, there is virtually no difference in signal when the correlator switch is thrown in and out. With the switch in, counterclockwise rotation of the threshold control should yield a significant decrease in hiss at the 11 to 2 o'clock threshold position range. Rotating log amp trim pot R20 CCW increases sensitivity while CW rotation decreases sensitivity."

By the way, the 1000 series two noise reduction system also used the MC3340 IC.
The 1000 series two service manual has similar verbiage:
section 6-2.7 states:
"Log amp adjustment and correlator sensitivity.
The log amplifier trim pot R25 can be set by driving one channel with a 200mV, 1KHz sine wave. With an AC voltmeter measure the voltage and the high side of correlation threshold pot R27 and adjust R25 for 95mVAC. Turning the trim pot counterclockwise will increase the output (sensitivity) of the log amp. Any fine tuning of the correlator such as setting the log amplifier for a specific phono cartridge output should be done by ear. Set the log amp trim pot R25 such that the noise from the signal source attenuates in the 11-to-2 o'clock range of the correlation threshold control."

Dean always performs these series of tests when he works on a 1000 or 4000.

By the way, Dean said that he liked the earlier log amp IC and that Bob Carver liked the later IC. If my memory serves me correct, Dean told me the reason why the change was made was because the earlier IC was no longer available and they had to use something else. Perhaps Bob wanted to show or state that any change was always made for the better?

Ed
Ed, Thank you for the detailed information. However, I do not have a PL4000, nor do I have a PL1000 series two or their respective manuals. So do I adjust my PL1000 series 1 (which like yours, has a Z1 of MC3340, but the schematic shows a MFC6040) Log Amp trimpot R20 for 2.85V as the service manual states, or do I adjust it as if it was a PL4000 series 1 (95mv at pin 8 of the Molex connector, the output).
Note that for the PL1000 series two, the adjustment trimpot becomes R25 and is measured at R27 (which is R31 in the series 1 and connected to pin 5 of the Molex connector, not the output).

Any advice would be appreciated.