It's not getting used and it was a gift from Lee, so it's going to one of you...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
All I ask is that you pay shipping, which I will do my best to keep reasonable. I'll even see if I can round up the PL box it came in.

There is no way I would sell it. Therefore another Phoenix member will get my PL 1000,

I'll try and make this as fair as I can...Lee, who wanted one after they were gone and still does?

DSC00567.JPG DSC00568.JPG

orange

Tagline
You use it to exoand/delimit dynamic dynamic range and restore some details lost in the production of the recording.

orange

Tagline
Maybe you could sticky this for a little while, I'll find somebody.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I wonder what this would do with a “loudness war” CD? Do you think it would restore a sense of normal dynamic range?

orange

Tagline
It's yours to find out if you wish, I was about to send a message. It should do much more than adjust that, although there are limits to the things they do to butcher recordings.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I wonder what this would do with a “loudness war” CD? Do you think it would restore a sense of normal dynamic range?

No, dont believe so. But if you do vinyl it will do away with turntable rumble. Since the loudness wars maxed out everything it would only boost the loud passages and attenuate the less loud passages. It was a sin what they did during the loudness wars...

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
So, what does it do? Is it like a DBX unit from the '70s? I'm just curious, I don't think the Summits need any help with dynamics, so I'm out, tnks !
Pl 1000 has 2 functions : peak unlimiter and autocorrelator .
It works with normal stereo sources !!!
The peak unlimiter increases dynamic range and the autocorrelator reduce the noise .
The boards are the same as PL 4000 , that has the same functions inside .
Dbx expander increases only the dynamic range .
Dbx II ( home edition of Dbx ) is a system like Dolby B and it works only with encoded sources.
I have 2 x PL 4000 , 1x PL 1000 , 1 x Carver C 4000 and 1x Dbx 128 ,
so I can adfirm that those system work well .
Adjustment for Pl 1000 and Pl 4000 is not critic ; Dbx is little more complex .
In both cases it's necessary to equalize in level all the sources , in order not to adjust
the thresholds every five minutes .
If you want to understand very well the behavior of these gears read the owner's
manuals and look at the curves . It's not so easy .

Ciao
Marco

dtafil

Journeyman
I know I'm one of the new guys here, but I'd love to try this out on my setup. I've battled a bit of turntable rumble over here, and am about 80% better, but I still get some rumble even with a 30 Hz / rumble filter, 4" maple platform. isolater pads, etc. Would hook this up with the Phase Linear gear I'm about to get into, as I'm very protective of my Ohm F's.

NO worries if you go with someone else; but it would have a good home over here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
You should be protective of your Model F's...although a Spec 2 at full throttle sounded pretty damn nice. Not in your face bass, but as clean and clear mids and highs I've heard with the exception of some Logan Summits....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I know I'm one of the new guys here, but I'd love to try this out on my setup. I've battled a bit of turntable rumble over here, and am about 80% better, but I still get some rumble even with a 30 Hz / rumble filter, 4" maple platform. isolater pads, etc. Would hook this up with the Phase Linear gear I'm about to get into, as I'm very protective of my Ohm F's.

NO worries if you go with someone else; but it would have a good home over here.

If that one disappears I have 6 more...

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
The auto correlator's noise reduction is exceptionally good. A friend has digitized many 15 ips 1/2 track "safety tapes" passing it through the 1000 before the DAC. You never hear hiss and you never hear the correlator doing its thing. I'd rate the expander as so-so. It isn't as good as the dbx units.

I'll take one Lee.

mlucitt

The auto correlator's noise reduction is exceptionally good. A friend has digitized many 15 ips 1/2 track "safety tapes" passing it through the 1000 before the DAC. You never hear hiss and you never hear the correlator doing its thing. I'd rate the expander as so-so. It isn't as good as the dbx units.

I'll take one Lee.
The PL1000 can now be hit or miss. The service manual and service bulletins explain the tests, but many of the units have degraded OPAMPs and the capacitors are dried out. After some work they tend to sound very good, just don't be disappointed if the stock PL1000 does not deliver amazing results. I have rebuilt four of them and marcok has rebuilt one or two, it is not hard but takes a bit of time.

orange

Tagline
Not the same serial number as the unit on the box but it's still in good enough shape to ship it.

DSC00588.JPG DSC00589.JPG

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
To complete the " novel "
- Pl 1000 series II has the variable gain for low input signal ( 0 or + 6dB )
Carver C4000 has six filters ( instead of 4 ) for autocorrelator and an automatic threshold
for FM broadcasts . Furthermore the infrasonic filter can be engaged from front panel .
Ciao
Marco