Is My Weller WES50 Iron Dying

punchback

Journeyman
In the middle of building my WOA control board my iron started going cold.:mad: I'd turn it off and on and it would work a little bit but then go cold. How could I tell if it's the base or the pencil? A new pencil is ~$45. I hate to spend $45 and find it's the base.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That is not unknown for that series. IIRC, there was some bad units during that run . I'm on my 3rd Crown and Coke at Old Chicago so the details escape me right now..

punchback

Journeyman
It looks like I'm SOL. The PES51 is not compatible with my WES50 base unit. I guess I'll be buying a new station.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've had my WES 51 for a long time.....8 to 10 years and used a lot...ya could do a lot worse....

Tagline
---
I worked for National Semi for a number of years and we closed the production cleanroom down that I worked at back in 2010. One of the perks of being in the final equipment removal crew clearing everything out was that we got our pick of anything destined for the dumpster and I got a TON of stuff. I took a 5 X 8 utility trailer to work with me just about every day in those final weeks and I literally filled my garage up with equipment and a variety of cabinets and tables, test & repair gear, roll around toolboxes, vidmars, etc. However one of the most useful things I took home in those final weeks (and I didn't realize it at the time) was one of the smallest things, which was a Weller WS80 solder station with the WSP80 pencil. I brought 3 different solder stations home in that time and the other two which seemed nicer/fancier ultimately went into the dumpster, they were junk compared to the Weller WS80. Its an amazing iron, its ready to solder in like 6 - 7 secs after you hit the power switch and does a great job of temp control plus the 80 watts of power makes short work of things that my 40 - 50W irons cannot touch. FWIW I have two WES51's at work now that I use all the time and they're nice but they aren't in the same league as the WS80/WSP80 combo.

I believe the WS80 has been superceded by the WS81 in recent years. I've occasionally seen the used WS80 power supplies along with the WSP80 solder pencil on the big auction site for around $100 and even less from time to time.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
If your model has a connector for the probe assembly you might check there first. Over the years I ran into several that just had bad connections after a few years of use.

Robert

Tagline
---
I've replaced the pencil heater one time in the Weller WS80 and it was the heating element that opened up in it. The resistance measured high on the element. Have you measured the heater element resistance yet?

punchback

Journeyman
I found a PES50 manual online and it has some troubleshooting steps for no heat. It has pinout of the connector so that you can test the heater and sensor. I checked with Weller to see if they still repair them for $25. They said no, it was discontinued a long time ago. I thought that's what they'd say. I guess if your PES51 broke they'd fix it for $25.

punchback

Journeyman
The measurement for the sensor is high. It's supposed to be 1-2 ohms and it's 5.5. Supposedly you can screw a nut onto the threads where the heater transitions to the handle. Then clamp the nut in a vise and pull the handle back, I guess exposing the connections. First I need a 3/8-24 nut which I don't have... I'm probably buying a new iron.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I worked for National Semi for a number of years and we closed the production cleanroom down that I worked at back in 2010. One of the perks of being in the final equipment removal crew clearing everything out was that we got our pick of anything destined for the dumpster and I got a TON of stuff. I took a 5 X 8 utility trailer to work with me just about every day in those final weeks and I literally filled my garage up with equipment and a variety of cabinets and tables, test & repair gear, roll around toolboxes, vidmars, etc. However one of the most useful things I took home in those final weeks (and I didn't realize it at the time) was one of the smallest things, which was a Weller WS80 solder station with the WSP80 pencil. I brought 3 different solder stations home in that time and the other two which seemed nicer/fancier ultimately went into the dumpster, they were junk compared to the Weller WS80. Its an amazing iron, its ready to solder in like 6 - 7 secs after you hit the power switch and does a great job of temp control plus the 80 watts of power makes short work of things that my 40 - 50W irons cannot touch. FWIW I have two WES51's at work now that I use all the time and they're nice but they aren't in the same league as the WS80/WSP80 combo.

I believe the WS80 has been superceded by the WS81 in recent years. I've occasionally seen the used WS80 power supplies along with the WSP80 solder pencil on the big auction site for around $100 and even less from time to time.
I have the WSD80 which is just the digital temp indicator version of the one you have. I agree, it is a workhorse of an iron and better than prior Wellers I have owned. If you can find one of these or the WSD81, get it...

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
This thread has caused me hardship. I was looking for you a replacement for and came across a EDSYN 952 SX DUAL SOLDERING IRON STATION So I snagged it for me. $70 plus shipping. I have a Edson desoldering gun and it is built like a tank. This unit has 90 watt irons. So stay tuned and I will have dual 80 watt weller for sale

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
This thread has caused me hardship. I was looking for you a replacement for and came across a EDSYN 952 SX DUAL SOLDERING IRON STATION So I snagged it for me. $70 plus shipping. I have a Edson desoldering gun and it is built like a tank. This unit has 90 watt irons. So stay tuned and I will have dual 80 watt weller for sale
That is the curse of opening Ebay. You always see something you gotta have. Let us know how it works out Glenn.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
That is the curse of opening Ebay. You always see something you gotta have. Let us know how it works out Glenn.
I wish they would stop putting all of those extra items I did not even know I needed on every damn page.

Tagline
---
I wish they would stop putting all of those extra items I did not even know I needed on every damn page.
Yes and then on top of that they taunt you with that damned "Make Offer" button. Its like its calling out to you "Come on buddy, just make an offer, you know you need to add this gadget to your pile o krap!" :rolleyes:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The measurement for the sensor is high. It's supposed to be 1-2 ohms and it's 5.5. Supposedly you can screw a nut onto the threads where the heater transitions to the handle. Then clamp the nut in a vise and pull the handle back, I guess exposing the connections. First I need a 3/8-24 nut which I don't have... I'm probably buying a new iron.
Three words...

True Value Hardware. They have s--- Radio Shack here never did and should have.

I got De-Oxit there, for Pete's sake!