Introduction and question for the esteemed moderators

Peter Walker

New Around These Parts
Hi. I'm a geriatric hippie running a Nakamichi 'Dragon' that functions to original specification despite decades of abuse .
I found this forum mentioned on a thread on AudioKarma asking about auto bias problems on another Nakamichi deck.
I've read the forum rules and wonder how strict the interpretation of 'not mentioning sexual orientation' are.
Does this imply that if I'm straight I can't mention the wife?If I'm gay I can't even mention the fact? I've never encountered that particular rule on any other forum so would like some clarification before I inadvertently break the rules and get banned. Thanks mods.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Peter Walker said:
Hi. I'm a geriatric hippie running a Nakamichi 'Dragon' that functions to original specification despite decades of abuse .
I found this forum mentioned on a thread on AudioKarma asking about auto bias problems on another Nakamichi deck.
I've read the forum rules and wonder how strict the interpretation of 'not mentioning sexual orientation' are.
Does this imply that if I'm straight I can't mention the wife?If I'm gay I can't even mention the fact? I've never encountered that particular rule on any other forum so would like some clarification before I inadvertently break the rules and get banned. Thanks mods.
Hi there Peter! Welcome to the forum!

Hmmm... LOL... I hate to ask, but where's it say THAT? I'll fix THAT up right away if anything in our rules is discriminatory as far as sexual orientation goes. We have "Stuwee" here... and I can definitely tell you we value his experience and opinion when it comes to all things "audio" more than we care about anything "else".. catch my drift? :cheers:

Sit n stay awhile.. good to see you here!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hey! Who's a-steamed?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
In fact I just returned from Phoenix visiting our daughter and my wife and I spent a wonderful day with the Stumeister and were none the worse for wear. We don't really give a flying rats ass about anybody's orientatioin, people are people and love is love, and audio is our icing on our cakes.
I believe you will find this forum as non-judgemental as a place can be. Once we get to know you then the gloves come off and we mix it up, but it's all in jest and fun, and the limits are set by good sense and feedback from all.

Welcome, enjoy your time here, we'll enjoy your's.

Peter Walker

New Around These Parts
As I can't figure out how to navigate back to the forum rules listed when you first register I'm now only going on memory but I DO REMEMBER a reference to not mentioning 'sexual orientation'.
For me it's no problem it's just that I've never encountered a forum rule like that one before and thought it really curious.
I'd also like someone to point me to how I set up an avatar. I can't see any mention of it on the User Control Panel pages.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Peter Walker said:
As I can't figure out how to navigate back to the forum rules listed when you first register I'm now only going on memory but I DO REMEMBER a reference to not mentioning 'sexual orientation'.
For me it's no problem it's just that I've never encountered a forum rule like that one before and thought it really curious.
I'd also like someone to point me to how I set up an avatar. I can't see any mention of it on the User Control Panel pages.
What it is saying is no flaming in here. For what ever reason.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you go to the FAQ section, there's a good piece on how to set up your avatar.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
jbeckva said:

Hmmm... LOL... I hate to ask, but where's it say THAT? I'll fix THAT up right away if anything in our rules is discriminatory as far as sexual orientation goes.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Phoenix Audio Community Forum†is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us.
If you log out and then hit the register button, the above text is in the second paragraph.

Also welcome Peter. :)

Web Police said:
jbeckva said:

Hmmm... LOL... I hate to ask, but where's it say THAT? I'll fix THAT up right away if anything in our rules is discriminatory as far as sexual orientation goes.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Phoenix Audio Community Forum†is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us.
If you log out and then hit the register button, the above text is in the second paragraph.

Also welcome Peter. :)
Can we ban Stu based on the above...I think his blatant and often use of Stuwella more than warrants this :cheers:

Peter Walker

New Around These Parts
Rex Everything said:
[quote="Web Police":1rmzbxpl]
jbeckva said:
Can we ban Stu based on the above...I think his blatant and often use of Stuwella more than warrants this :cheers:
[/quote:1rmzbxpl]
Well, that is either a badly worded rule of a rule the likes of which I've never encountered on any other forum. On an audio forum, strictly applied, it could be used to prevent discussion of something as important as WAF, the dreaded curse of 'she who must be obeyed' dictating what can and can't be put in HER living room.

As to the avatar question I put I've waded through the astonishingly long FAQ section to find this :-"There are two images which may appear along with a username when viewing posts. One of them may be an image associated with your rank, generally in the form of stars, blocks or dots, indicating how many posts you have made or your status on the board. Another, usually a larger image, is known as an avatar and is generally unique or personal to each user. It is up to the board administrator to enable avatars and to choose the way in which avatars can be made available. If you are unable to use avatars, contact a board administrator and ask them for their reasons."
What does this mean? Are we supposed to PM the moderators and ask for permission to use one? For the life of me I can't see any facility in the User Control section the even mentions avatars. If I'm missing something please point me in the right direction.

Peter Walker

New Around These Parts
laatsch55 said:
Where's the shithead been lately anyway, and with kindred spirits joining up!!!
I would be a mistake to assume that just because I'm a fairy I'm a kindred spirit to all other fairies. I've found just as many gays to be obnoxious as I've found hetros, dykes, etc etc.
Having moderated several audio forums myself over the years I'm well aware that these places often belong to 'guys' who find the mere presence of such as myself threatening.
The 'bums against the wall boys' attitude (as we say in Australia) is odd as I can't myself see how being being openly gay on a forum could threaten anyone.
Correct me if I'm wrong fellas. This leads to another question that plagues the entire audio industry. Why are women, apart from the fabulous EveAnna Manley & Mrs Kron etc, almost totally absent as audiophiles, absent as sales targets for most audio companies and totally absent on the retail side? If you think that isn't important just consider how many millions Bose has made selling crap that doesn't upset 'she who must be obeyed's ' living room decor.
Forgive the rave, this was supposed to be me introducing myself and I find myself giving a sermon. Enough from me.
AH! HA ! Just found the 'Edit Avatar' button on the Profile section. Brace yourself for an onslaught of eye candy. Maybe I can find a male equivalent of Rex Everything's wobbly boobs one?

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
As to the avatar question I put I've waded through the astonishingly long FAQ section to find this :-"There are two images which may appear along with a username when viewing posts. One of them may be an image associated with your rank, generally in the form of stars, blocks or dots, indicating how many posts you have made or your status on the board. Another, usually a larger image, is known as an avatar and is generally unique or personal to each user. It is up to the board administrator to enable avatars and to choose the way in which avatars can be made available. If you are unable to use avatars, contact a board administrator and ask them for their reasons."
What does this mean? Are we supposed to PM the moderators and ask for permission to use one? For the life of me I can't see any facility in the User Control section the even mentions avatars. If I'm missing something please point me in the right direction.
Open your user control panel located just below the forum banner, once open you will see to the left a column designated as options, open the options, then scroll down and you will see Edit Avatar, open this option, from there it should be pretty self explanatory.

Jim

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Can we ban Stu based on the above...I think his blatant and often use of Stuwella more than warrants this :cheers:[/quote][/quote]
Well, that is either a badly worded rule of a rule the likes of which I've never encountered on any other forum. On an audio forum, strictly applied, it could be used to prevent discussion of something as important as WAF, the dreaded curse of 'she who must be obeyed' dictating what can and can't be put in HER living room.

OK before questions start flying. I am going to put this as good as I can. That is a CYA rule. We are international. We take all people at face value. You are beating a dead horse. We tried to explain what the rule meant. I am sorry if you don't like the rule. It is a rule. The rest of this can probably be left to you imagination.

Larry