Introducing the Phase Linear 400 Series 1 Revision B Light Board

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Lee hinted around at this the other day. It is time to open it up more broadly in this forum as it is ready for prime time.

Highlights:

1. Offers 2 header based jumper modes - a small shunt jumper with handle allows you to quickly move between the 2 meter modes on a set of 3 pin headers.
  2. Mode 1 offers full wave rectified amplifier signal to each meters. This provides a doubling of normal meter sensitivity plus adds in a high frequency boost for signals above 2 KHz of approximately 4X. This is to address complaints that the normal PL meter sensitivity is too sluggish.
  3. Mode 2 offers the classic half wave rectification and meter sensitivity plus the high frequency boost.
  4. Adds test points for the plus and minus filtered rail for the LEDs to allow easy measurement.
  5. Utilizes low forward drop Schottky rectifiers for more accurate meter response.
  6. Added a notch beneath each meter round for better clearance with some of the very old meters.
  7. Added horizontally slotted mounting holes to allow for the rather large tolerances associated with the meter mounting scheme.
  8. The build version that offers all the functionality listed above is offered on the White Oak Audio Design website ONLY. Ebay offerings are now ONLY for the classic, simpler RevA build population.

A couple of pictures are below:

Release notes are below:

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Another worthwhile upgrade, Joe. I did find the sensitivity of the meter sweeps on Doug's PL 400 (early model 4-fin) noticeably lower than what I had expected for the power I was hearing through the speakers.

Nando.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Damn Joe - you've been busy!

Those are some great options you have incorporated into your most recent light board revision. With the modified frequency response and gain change do you think Lee could use this? Those meters won't swing 360 degrees. :confused2:

And all this time I thought it was the beer that slowed down the meters - go figure.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, that too Nav, and I think some of that seeped in from the tranny winder...

I've had the new light board running for 3 days now, really,really cool.

Nando, the meters on the 400 were set up so that 0db was 100 watts into 8 ohms.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
That's really cool, Joe. That is the one I'll be ordering soon.
What's the most popular LED color? I'm going to get the blue ones, I think.
Dave

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
That's really cool, Joe. That is the one I'll be ordering soon.
What's the most popular LED color? I'm going to get the blue ones, I think.
Dave
Hi Dave
Here is my standard note about LED colors that I send when folks order off of Ebay:

PL400 Light Board Meter LED Color
Thank you for your recent purchase. Please advise your desired choice of meter LED color. Your available choices are:
Clear BLUE
Clear WHITE
Diffused BLUE
Since your purchase is going a long distance, we want to get this right for you.
To possibly help you out in this selection process, in order of popularity, the Clear BLUE is the number one choice of users. The second most popular choice is Clear WHITE. Diffused BLUE is third behind the other two selections.
We want you to know this information so you will be totally satisfied with your purchase. Please consider the color selection carefully before making your final choice. We are happy to ship out any of these three colors.

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
What a lovely forum we've got here !
I was also wondering about the "lazyness" of my VU meters, now I know there's a solution somewhere! I think I'll place an order right away!
I think I'll go for white for my part :)

Last edited:

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hello,

I've been trying several times to place an order on your site but, strangely, when I'm to pay via paypal my browser leads me to an error page [h=1]Server Error in '/' Application.[/h]Is there another way to place an order? Maybe can I have the email adress linked to the paypal account to make a transfer?

Thanking you in advance,

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hello,

I've been trying several times to place an order on your site but, strangely, when I'm to pay via paypal my browser leads me to an error page Server Error in '/' Application.

Is there another way to place an order? Maybe can I have the email adress linked to the paypal account to make a transfer?

Thanking you in advance,
You are all set, thanks Florian.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Joe's working on some more White meter boards for my 700B's. I've had a very hard time making a concrete choice between the current color options. Both are so PERTY! I had this problem when purchasing a car too. Financing, options, model, engine, add-on's, warranties etc, all figured out in days. When asked then what color I wanted it in, I was overcome with brain fog. "Derrrrrrrrrrr".................. took me a week to decide that alone.

Sometimes it's the simplest of things we overlook. I am no stranger to this. Both of Joe's choices are perfect. And that's what makes it so difficult.

Green though?.................. ya may need to get a petition going for that. Unless Joe can make one "a la carte" for even his most demanding customers. Maybe make it a Phoenix exclusive member dealy..............:toothy5:

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
Joe's working on some more White meter boards for my 700B's. I've had a very hard time making a concrete choice between the current color options. Both are so PERTY! I had this problem when purchasing a car too. Financing, options, model, engine, add-on's, warranties etc, all figured out in days. When asked then what color I wanted it in, I was overcome with brain fog. "Derrrrrrrrrrr".................. took me a week to decide that alone.

Sometimes it's the simplest of things we overlook. I am no stranger to this. Both of Joe's choices are perfect. And that's what makes it so difficult.

Green though?.................. ya may need to get a petition going for that. Unless Joe can make one "a la carte" for even his most demanding customers. Maybe make it a Phoenix exclusive member dealy..............:toothy5:
i know of 2 green ones that would be sold... well make the 3 .1 for you and one for my beautiful jessica and 1 for that slut bertha 400:toothy5::toothy5::blob8: