Interesting Cable Article

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I would use different test equipment but their theory and approach is not off the mark. Not sure if any of the impedance change becomes actually audible or not but their data presentation makes sense.

We run cables with 12GHz+ through them and at those frequencies, wire is definitely not wire.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Exactly my thoughts Joe.....is the difference actually audible? He never did get to that - all looks good on paper. proof is in the ear.

No doubt that different wire can shape sound but what sounds good to some may not to others. Sometimes just good to shake things up for awhile - listening fatigue. Forever searching for the "perfect" combo is tiring. Find what sounds good to you and stick with it.

Right now the only replacement I'm looking to is new ears - they are getting old.........

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
There was only once when I heard a difference between wires to speakers.

It was around 1990 and specialized wire and cables was coming into vogue. The audio store I was at had three soundrooms. To satisfy my own curiosity, I rigged up a system in the lesser used one (the high end room) around an entry level receiver with a mono switch and a pair of Clements floor standing speakers. On the left channel I used the standard cheapo (silver one side, copper the other) speaker wire and Monster (or something similar) OFC wire for the right. Panning from left to right with the balance control, there was a definate audible difference. So much that I was instructed to rig up the same demo in the sound room that got the most use. It did sell better speaker wire for a lot of the sales people.

But going from one or two dollar a foot wire to seven/eight/nine dollar per foot wire, no perceptible difference.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I would use different test equipment but their theory and approach is not off the mark. Not sure if any of the impedance change becomes actually audible or not but their data presentation makes sense.

We run cables with 12GHz+ through them and at those frequencies, wire is definitely not wire.

I'm going to read that article just as soon as I get done. I'm out in the garage with an anvil and hammer trying to smash my speaker wires flat so they fit on my chopstick cable elevators better. :)