Inside an ES CDP

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I'm thinking that a computer-grade board will not lift traces or break/crack as easily as one made of brown phenolic. Yays or nays on this?
You would be correct. Double sided or multilayer boards with plated feedthroughs also add to the pad robustness on circuit boards.

The cheap single sided crap boards they use in consumer electronics shed trace easily.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I'm thinking that a computer-grade board will not lift traces or break/crack as easily as one made of brown phenolic. Yays or nays on this?
Nay !
Computer grade PCBA's weren't needed at this level of design.
Upgrade robustness and repair-ability didn't necessitate boards of that caliber.
They were made to stringent performance specs (the true Elevated pieces that is...)
and made to last. And quite frankly,they love (last) you long time.

Keep in mind too that ES components had many sub-assemblies hand built.

The brown phenolic boards were just fine for the intended purpose.
Pick up a dead ES component of one type or another, CDP - tape deck, whatever.
Tear into it and get back to us on how poorly constructed it is.
Hands on like ... ;-)

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Sometimes, if it weighs a lot, and it's vintage, it's worth a lot. I have a few cassette decks that tip the scales in the 25+ pound range. The Sony TC-K950ES, Esoteric V-9000, Pioneer CT-F1250 and CT-F1000 are just a few of the decks that are in the weight zone. They seem to have the build quality that can be measured in performance and longevity.

Quite often that goes with most stereo components.

Nando.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Sometimes, if it weighs a lot, and it's vintage, it's worth a lot. I have a few cassette decks that tip the scales in the 25+ pound range. The Sony TC-K950ES, Esoteric V-9000, Pioneer CT-F1250 and CT-F1000 are just a few of the decks that are in the weight zone. They seem to have the build quality that can be measured in performance and longevity.

Quite often that goes with most stereo components.

Nando.
They are all superb machines Nando.