Inline attenuator for CD player?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Anyone have a suggestion for some doodad I can concoct myself that will knock a CD player's 2 volt output down a bit? I must turn the pre-amp's volume control down substantially when switching from Phono to Aux. I like not having to do that. The HK7600 CD player I used for quite a time had a set of variable outputs but this Rega does not.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Is there a volume control for the headphone jack?

Why not build it from there?

62vauxhall

Tagline
Is there a volume control for the headphone jack?

Why not build it from there?
Negative on the headphone jack.

Inline attenuators are available online but since I imagine they only consist of a resistor between male & female RCA's, the price per pair + currency exchange + shipping is too high for an experiment. I was hoping to learn what type/value/wattage resistor I would need to make something, if only temporary, in order to see what the difference might be. Not sure how many dB I would want to reduce the signal by so my thought was to try different resistors but don't know which ones would produce what result.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yes, here at Phoenix we take stock in Shiit products!

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Easiest way is to use a Dual Potentiometer with an audio taper. 10k should do it. Something like:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBU4LIzrlRxKBZdF0T1A%2bX11E=

The dual means it has two gangs, here each gang having 3 pins. Looking at it from the shaft side consider pin 1 on the left. Cut a stereo audio cable in half. Solder pin 1 of each gang to one of the inputs (the signal wire in the cable). Each stereo channel on a different gang. Solder pin 3 of each gang to ground (cable shield wire of both cut cable ends). Solder pin 2, the center terminals, to each output, again one for each gang. Use electrical tape and wrap it good or better, mount it in a small box to make it nice. Add a knob to finish.

62vauxhall

Tagline
That sounds like a good idea but I made something simple. Glen (grapplesaw) calculated what resistance I'd need to drop the CD player's output by 25%. Got a small metal project box, four isolated RCA jack's soldered things up and all good.

Thanks for reminding me though. I haven't played a CD in a while and I've gotten a whole bunch of second hand ones over the past few months.