In Search Of a Tweeter

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'm making a try at finishing the restoration/modding of the Fisher 104 speakers. The tweeter hole in the front baffle is ragged, having been hogged out for a succession of tweeters. I need something with a maximum flange diameter of 3.5 to 4.0 inches, and I don't care if it's cone or dome.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I put some “misco” domes in my fathers Starks. They were all mangled also from years of tweeter swaps. They seem to sound good and have held up to his Sansui AU-7900
I like how those are mounted - on masonite? I could do that with a pair of tweeters I have on hand. Time coherence is hardly an issue with these speakers.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Was some scrap MDF. i think the tweeters were under 30 maple syrups each. I got them from qcomponents.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Using these in the three way speakers for my house. They’ve held up to to Tim (700/1) full blast and even my MX3000 hasn’t melted them yet. 3.5” square flange mount, replaceable compression driver with any 1” thread on driver. They’re very efficient and bright but also not harsh. You won’t need any highs EQ’d in though!

https://qcomponents.ca/Eminence-APT80.html

Attachments

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Using these in the three way speakers for my house. They’ve held up to to Tim (700/1) full blast and even my MX3000 hasn’t melted them yet. 3.5” square flange mount, replaceable compression driver with any 1” thread on driver. They’re very efficient and bright but also not harsh. You won’t need any highs EQ’d in though!

https://qcomponents.ca/Eminence-APT80.html
Yup, too pricey. I think I'm going to use the cone tweeters I have on hand, mounted on thin sub-baffles per your post #3. I don't care to sink a gob of money into this project, since I have main speakers taken care of. This whole problem came up because the Genesis tweeters I intended to use went off the table when I realized I had woofers that fit, so the Genesis are singing again.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I have a pair of dome tweeters from a junky pair of VMPS Tower II speakers. One had continuity, and the other did not - the terminal strip was loose. As a last resort, I made tiny wedges out of wood, and used them to tighten the strip - continuity! It looks like I have my tweeters, and they're a better fit than the cones I was considering.