Idle current...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
So, I'm trying to edumacate myself on checking and properly setting these old Pioneer receivers.

I did exactly nothing to the first one, other than clean, inspect and tighten down the heat sink rail to provide proper ground to the output devices and main board (a known issue apparently- I learned that from YouTube!).

But now I'm actually reading (shock) printed material and I notice it is somewhat "dealer's choice" for idle current: "...reads 30mV (or at least in the 20 to 40mV range)."

So my specific question is, what are the implications of having the idle current set high or low, rather than "dead center"? What are the pluses and minuses (probably a joke there) to setting the idle current differently? And whatever is decided, yes, both channels will be set the same once the dust settles and it has run for "about 10 minutes" and re-checked.

Probably nothing there, but thought I'd ask. For example, would a lower current provide extended service life of the output components? Will higher provide a sweeter sound? Is it a waste of my typing energy and I should just set it at 30 and enjoy the music?

I just feel like, if I'm going through the trouble to check and set stuff, I want to give the little bugger the best chance of success, and sweet sound.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Okay. Too complicated to explain to a simpleton?
Lower than 30, you will increase crossover distortion, if your ears cannot hear it (likely you cannot) then it will do no harm.

Higher than 30 you will slightly further reduce crossover distortion while at the same time risking output stage cross conduction, blown fuses and wiped out output devices.

Last edited:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Okay.

"Set it at 30 Jim... "

Thank you for the explanation! (I'm sure you have important beers to attend to)