Idiotic question....

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
Ok, before you roll your eyes, let me just say I don't know a whole lot about the technical side of this hobby.

My Pioneer 8-Track deck has a spot for a ground wire. I don't have one hooked up. What would the reason for hooking it up be? Would I get more bass from the deck by hooking it up? Will it hurt anything by not hooking it up?

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
A lot of my stuff has grd.s also. Does your AC filter have one? I'm just guessing if you have noise you could use it. Also could be a common grd. for all. May help to keep it quiet. More bass? Try it and see.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I know with any of my auto stereo components it was recommended to connect a ground wire to all the components which had ground terminals. Even my Pioneer cassette deck and equalizer had ground terminals. But, most likely that was to ensure you didn't have noise issues induced by old cars running non-resistance or non-shielded wiring for secondary ignition systems. Which Pioneer 8-track do you have, Chris? I have an H-R99.

Nando.

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
I have the Pioneer H-R100. It's the same as yours except it has Dolby. How is the bass on yours?

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have the Pioneer H-R100. It's the same as yours except it has Dolby. How is the bass on yours?
Very nice deck, Chris! The bass is good. I think I have a video clip playing some Black Sabbath through the H-R99. The Engelbert 8-track was a project for someone who wanted the 8-track copied to cassette.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
As always Nando, a beautiful piece of equipment and beautifully presented.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Well, I sort of got that wrong Chris, as it was a Frank Zappa 8-track on the Panasonic quadraphonic deck. I don't have any videos of the Pioneer H-R99 in action, but you can enjoy this:

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
Nice looking Quad deck. I wish I had a Quad one. The Zappa tape was only 2 channel though wasn't it? Love Frank Zappa. "Apostrophe" is a great album. I have it on lp and cd but no 8-track. Sounded goods on the video. I'm glad you chose Frank instead of Englebert to demonstrate your deck.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Chris: Thank you. I have a few quadraphonic 8-tracks. The ones pictured with the Panasonic deck were purchased when I bought the deck for $10 at the local mini flea market. Yes, that Frank Zappa tape is only stereo. With pre-recorded 8-tracks, I found some of the best recordings were done of Motown music. Most of the classic rock can be hit-and-miss for sound quality.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I had both the 99 and still have the 100. I gave the 99 to a friend who always bought me cat food before he moved to Arizona (not him, a guy from out near Parma, Idaho).