I Thought I Was Testing A Speaker...

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I got to the point on my Jensen resto/mod where I had all drivers mounted in one cabinet. Things still to do: install acoustic fill, add mass to the rear baffle...and later (maybe) change the lytics in the crossover to films.

I lugged it to the main system and hooked the Jensen up in place of one of the Vandersteens, to find that the Jensen was a LOT more efficient than the Vandy. Played some warble-tone tracks off a test CD. The twelve-inch woofer began to drop off at 31.5 hertz - at 25 and 20 hertz...nothing. I expected a bit better.

Midrange response was OK, then when the treble tones played, I heard nothing past 8,000 hertz. NOTHING. I didn't realize I was testing me as well as the speaker. Last time I checked, I had nothing past 10,000. I do remember 20,000 hertz tones

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I got to the point on my Jensen resto/mod where I had all drivers mounted in one cabinet. Things still to do: install acoustic fill, add mass to the rear baffle...and later (maybe) change the lytics in the crossover to films.

I lugged it to the main system and hooked the Jensen up in place of one of the Vandersteens, to find that the Jensen was a LOT more efficient than the Vandy. Played some warble-tone tracks off a test CD. The twelve-inch woofer began to drop off at 31.5 hertz - at 25 and 20 hertz...nothing. I expected a bit better.

Midrange response was OK, then when the treble tones played, I heard nothing past 8,000 hertz. NOTHING. I didn't realize I was testing me as well as the speaker. Last time I checked, I had nothing past 10,000. I do remember 20,000 hertz tones
Yeah. I can tell some differences, too. My sister and mother were almost completely deaf, I have a nephew that I have to yell at to be heard. A certain range of notes during church hymns hit me sideways. Should I ditch my PL gear and stick to my windup Columbia? Time for an audiologist, eh?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I get tested annually due to how loud my job is.

But I also wear earplugs a lot- yard work and longer drives with the windows down. It helps keep what’s left.

A hole ear wax removal kit is gold too. Some drops and a bulb to irrigate. It makes a big difference.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Yeah, I used ear plugs on long drives in the Miata and the Mustang when the tops were down. Yard work goes much better with some custom-fitted -20db plugs I got from MusicCares over at the International Blue Grass Music Association conference and festival some years back. Use them and a pair of ear protectors when shooting. Keeps me at about 14 kHz or so; not much more.

Clevites at loud volumes back working in AM radio did some damage, no doubt.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Laz, you should have kicked some wattage to those F's..
I took them to over twenty watts once - tried to be conservative since they were on loan. They were very clean-sounding...but my normal listening levels are more reasonable, at least I think so.