I got mine today, where's yours??!?!

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
christ! all this time i thought shpongle was a generic name you guys made up for the tapes mixes you send to one another...

christ! all this time i thought shpongle was a generic name you guys made up for the tapes mixes you send to one another...

OH NO! Far from it.........one of the best things to happen to music in a very long time.

Not only excellent tunes an recording but they sure will let you know what your system is capable of.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
The next best thing to being there. Are you getting us all pumped up for the next travelling Tape, Paul? My favourite song starting at the 38 minute mark.

Nando.

Oktyabr

Journeyman
A sandy beach on the Pacific coast of Washington
Tagline
---
Try 1:25:00 in that video Scott. One of my favorite segments ("Nothing Is Something Worth Doing") and one that definitely is more impressive "live" than from the studio. :)

EDIT: Ah, here! I found the excerpt! [video=youtube_share;Irz9PNHqt-Y]http://youtu.be/Irz9PNHqt-Y[/video]

Last edited:
Try 1:25:00 in that video Scott. One of my favorite segments ("Nothing Is Something Worth Doing") and one that definitely is more impressive "live" than from the studio. :)

EDIT: Ah, here! I found the excerpt! [video=youtube_share;Irz9PNHqt-Y]http://youtu.be/Irz9PNHqt-Y[/video]

You like the Hang drum, eh...

Are you a fan of the Portico Quartet?

Oktyabr

Journeyman
A sandy beach on the Pacific coast of Washington
Tagline
---
You like the Hang drum, eh...

Are you a fan of the Portico Quartet?
I was completely oblivious to the Hang, or Manu Delago, before I found Shpongle. Portico Quartet is new to me too but not any more! I did some serious listening before bed last night, after reading your post. Thanks for the pointer!

This is probably my favorite Hang piece, again by Manu Delago:

[video=youtube_share;JrJVUsnsimw]http://youtu.be/JrJVUsnsimw[/video]

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
I was completely oblivious to the Hang, or Manu Delago, before I found Shpongle. Portico Quartet is new to me too but not any more! I did some serious listening before bed last night, after reading your post. Thanks for the pointer!

Ow yes! I've discovered Manu some years ago, and this definitely good stuff!

I've got several trance/dance alike remixes of this solo piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ojj7tgrqw

And all versions are outstanding!

I've played the hang several times, but it's hard to find good and affordable examples of this beautiful instrument....

Ow yes! I've discovered Manu some years ago, and this definitely good stuff!

I've got several trance/dance alike remixes of this solo piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ojj7tgrqw

And all versions are outstanding!

I've played the hang several times, but it's hard to find good and affordable examples of this beautiful instrument....
Right on! Thanks for the links guys!

Knee-Deep In The North Sea is a must have from Portico Quartet. Well, all their albums are but if you could only have one that would be my choice.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
man, talk about having an eye and ear opener... looks like i've got some research to do.
Scott, I thought we raved about Shpongle enough you would have aware by now. But I see I have been remiss. Shpongle broight me out of the 70's. After hearing " Are You Shpongled?" I was hooked.Like Ted Nugent and Eddie Van Halen were born to play guitar, Simon Posford was born to compose and perform electronic music. In a synthesizer the combinations of different sounds and their harmonics is almost to much to comprehend, and to be able to express a story or impession by that means takes a very talented individual. His music is so well engineered and engauging, we at the Laatsch house may listen to a Shpongle album for a week straight. Get some Shpongle Scott and ge it soon.....

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
Scott, I thought we raved about Shpongle enough you would have aware by now. But I see I have been remiss. Shpongle broight me out of the 70's. After hearing " Are You Shpongled?" I was hooked.Like Ted Nugent and Eddie Van Halen were born to play guitar, Simon Posford was born to compose and perform electronic music. In a synthesizer the combinations of different sounds and their harmonics is almost to much to comprehend, and to be able to express a story or impession by that means takes a very talented individual. His music is so well engineered and engauging, we at the Laatsch house may listen to a Shpongle album for a week straight. Get some Shpongle Scott and ge it soon.....
i was always aware of the word shpongle, but i really thought it was an inside joke, being too ridiculous to be for real. as such i somehow attached the name to the traveling tapes...

i'm getting schooled.

Simon definitely was born to do such things. He was early in the mix with his Hallucinogen stuff. It was when the old dude Raja came along and started telling him the stories that he related to music is when things got really good.

I'm calling for a Phoenix gathering with tons of Shpongle, Twisted records, dank bud and DMT for all...how bout your place, Lee...... :D

Don't forget to check out Terrence McKenna as he's been a huge influence on the entire scene.

Last edited: