I finally got a TEAC Z 7000 !

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Well, I just talked with the guy...unfortunately, he has health issues and is not willing to get into shipping etc. It's just a local pick up deal. I'm too distant from California and has no relatives there,so, I think the Z 6000 has to wait.

El Magnifico :sad2:
I can help with this if you feel comfortable and really want to get this. He lives in my neck of the woods so I could pick up it up, pack it and get it to a shipping company such as UPS or FedEx or any other shipping company that is local. I have experience shipping expensive test equipment so packing hardware is something I'm not afraid of. I suspect you would want it insured anyways sooo...

Tagline
---
Thank you!

I can help with this if you feel comfortable and really want to get this. He lives in my neck of the woods so I could pick up it up, pack it and get it to a shipping company such as UPS or FedEx or any other shipping company that is local. I have experience shipping expensive test equipment so packing hardware is something I'm not afraid of. I suspect you would want it insured anyways sooo...
Oh! man, I really appreciate it! If I go for it, you will ship it to Sam in Chicago for a tune-up, and then he can ship it to me. I'm watching another one,so, I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks for your consideration.

Carlos "El Magnifico"

Tagline
---
Time to celebrate!

Today, I received my Z 5000 from Sam Palermo in Chicago. Wow! The machine is like new and the damages suffered in transit from Canada to Chicago due to bad packaging are not visible! Sam reconstructed it and it's excellent! The sound and functions are like it is suppose to be. I'm listening to her right now. Very good indeed.

This guy really knows something about TEAC. Highly recommended. The Z 7000 is already packed and ready to visit Sam but I would wait for the Christmas rush to finish. On the other hand, my ZX 9 arrived into Perry's hands today and I'm sure is gonna also be a nice experience . I just decided not to buy any other machines until I got all mine's in top condition and repaired. I'm only looking for a Z 6000 to complete the series some day.

Best,

El Magnifico :happy7:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's good news, El Magnifico. Sam P., and a few other members, who are technicians, seem to be fairly busy with repairing vintage components. Most of us know how difficult it is to find someone willing and capable of doing this type of service work.

I would much rather have fewer components, that work as good as factory-stock, or better, than to have a number of collectibles that have various small issues. Some of this older stuff will give many more years of trouble-free service and enjoyment if it is looked after.

Nando.

Tagline
---
Recording with DBX on the 5000

Today, I decided to give it a shot to a cassette tape encoded with dbx and see what happens. I rarely do this because dbx compatibility in other decks is rare. Anyway, it was a mixed tape of rock: Toto, Kansas, Fleetwood Mack, Frank Zappa, Maroon 5, Journey, etc... My impressions: HOLY SHIT! This is the most close to the original source that I have ever experienced, besides a 1/2" master of course... Amazing sound. It's almost impossible to distinguish between the CD and the tape!

I'm telling you...it's simply amazing! The machine: Sam Palermo's repaired Teac Z 5000!

Enjoy! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
There was a company in the Tennessee area that used them for duplication. The Z6000 that is. There was a guy who got a bunch of them and sold me one. None of them are in good shape and the sensitive parts like the Headphone and Pitch controls can be toast but there must be a way to get these working- one of these days. I have a Z6000 and a Z5000 that are from Teac but there was always room for more of these if they came along at a good price.
Keep on the lookout as Estate sales of rich people that just let them sit is the best way to get vintage decks that are not beat.

Tagline
---
There was a company in the Tennessee area that used them for duplication. The Z6000 that is. There was a guy who got a bunch of them and sold me one. None of them are in good shape and the sensitive parts like the Headphone and Pitch controls can be toast but there must be a way to get these working- one of these days. I have a Z6000 and a Z5000 that are from Teac but there was always room for more of these if they came along at a good price.
Keep on the lookout as Estate sales of rich people that just let them sit is the best way to get vintage decks that are not beat.
Yes, there were several cassette duplication boutique plants running on real time decks. The most used were the MR 2. I, myself started with 25 of these. There were Elite in North Carolina with 50 MR 2 and AApex in Los Angeles running 103 MR 2's ! In Maine, Klaritty Cassette using 50 Revox B 215 and the guy who used to have 250 B 215 !!!! The 50 of Klaritty's were obtain from this guy when he closed. In England there was the Pink Room with 100 Nak 505's and the famous Nakamichi Concert Room in Japan with ZX 9 for real time dupplication. Also, some JVC were used by another guy that I met once.

At the end, none of them could survive and many, like myself, evolved into High Speed bin loop duplication. When the Digital Bin arrived, it was almost impossible to distinguish between the real time and high speed dupl. My slaves use to have the HX PRO cards which extended the headroom and the quality was simply superior to my former duplication on the MR 2's.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I would love to own at least one of those Teacs. How are you going to possibly top those for cassette decks?

Nando.

Tagline
---
I would love to own at least one of those Teacs. How are you going to possibly top those for cassette decks?

Nando.
Impressive machines indeed. A recording on the Z 7000 with dbx is the most close to a CD you'll ever heard. Comparing her to the ZX 9...I like both! When you get to this league and using the best casette decks ever made the differences are very subtle indeed, mainly a thing of personal preference. I'm comparing a B 215, Z 7000 and ZX 9 right now...more to come.

Nak ZX 7 & 9.jpg Nak ZX 9, ZX 7 & Teac Z 7000.jpg Revox B 215 & TEAC Z 5000 and Z 7000.jpg System 2.jpg ZX 9 Front.jpg TEAC Z 5000 & Z 7000.jpg

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have a hankering to try something away from the beaten path like a Harmon Kardon CD-491. You don't happen to have, or once have, one of those?

Nando.