HX PRO

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Yes; XLR jacks for in and out. The 122 II and III have a switch to go between balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA). I don't remember on the first 122, but I think it also had both... it's been a minute...

Teac equipment may be the same circuit internally (there was a lot of "dual-use" decks with home/pro being the same with a different face), but do not have the provision for balanced operation (or the ability to add the balanced module, which other Tascams do- a removeable panel in the rear where the appropriate interface plugs in and replaces the blanking plate with the XLR in/out)

Tascam often had rack mounting provisions as well- open reels were removeable but cassette (and DAT, MD etc.) all had the ears integrated into the front panel. I think only the original 122 had rack "handles"; the II and III seem to have holes but no handles.

I thought that's what you were talking about, interesting I didn't know any of them or XLR, but if they were used for dual purpose it makes sense.

Open reel looks expensive to get into right now if I've never been into it before.

prices for the tapes alone on the auction site are out of sight.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It's always been an expensive format... I bought a LOT more cassette stock than open reel stock, even when it was a "current" format.

Honestly, you are better off picking a new tape manufacturer for open reel, than usng old tape of unknown condition. The old Ampex 456 was awesome, but it didn't keep well... They were bought by Quantegy and still the "same" tape but even those are getting old enough to stick and shed now.

If you go into open reel, know it is an AWESOME format- vinyl nirvana without any of the vinyl noises (ALMOST CD sound) but with the analogue warmth. Awesome. But price of admission as well as care and feeding are significant. Particularly if you want to operate at its best possible performance.

I would consider a BR-20T as a toy, and then dump digital files to tape and back to digital, to smooth the edges a bit, but buying cases of tape is not something that interests me at all.

We need those tapes to make a comeback. Although I think I have a lifetime supply of cassettes. I saw the writing on the wall, and although they were not cheap when I started buying them several months ago, they're going through even more money on the auction site now. Still tough to beat the old Maxell chromes just like it was back in the day.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I like both Maxell and TDK for main-line tapes when you can find them at a reasonable price. I also like my Denon tapes. I have a few metal tapes but they're beyond my price/interest level any more. Which is also why I sold my B77 Revox a couple of years ago - took up too much room in my 12x14' space, took up too much money for tape, and too much storage space needed once I bought it. Beautiful format, however. Love it to this day. Could still do something stupid before I die...

For anyone interested, however, here are a few links. First - a professional one for the guy who built Pete Townsend a 2", 8 track 30 ips deck for his studio: https://maramachines.com/ Think on that concept: eight 1/2" wide channels for tracking. S/N was off the charts as I was told. No need for DBX or Dolby of any kind.

For new tape stock, Adam Dalton in Nashville is my guy. Also has new cassette stock and really great hard drives for backup: https://nashvillerecordingsupply.com/
I have used, and like, the ATR Type I cassettes but have not tried the RTM/Fox cassettes. I need to try the Tyepe II ATR cassettes - just now saw them. Looks like I'm making a phone call when I get home.

Jim - Tascam also makes a DX-4 box as well, only four channels, to mate with the 34 series decks (or use two with the 38 series decks like I did).

J!m

Tagline
BOT
MCI are quality for sure but you need to “know a guy” that can deal with them.

Unlikenother brands we like, MCI never had a consumer product, and most (few) think of tour busses not tape decks.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Actually, easy to service as professional gear is meant to be more accessible with removable cards and plenty of room to work on the innards. Consumer-grade open-reel decks are quite the opposite as they're built on a smaller footprint. The one Bob and I were interested in, was snapped up and restored a month, or so, later.

I have the email exchange betwen IA and Bob back in January of 2011. It was offered to me (in care of Bob) for $100 CAD.

Nando.