HX PRO

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
That’s good. The appeal of Studer was their modular construction and ease of service.
Same with MCI, Jim. MCI's transport controls were less sophisticated for sure; I'm not sure about then record/playback electronics. They probably gave up some performance to the big Studers but were easier to bias and maintain.

And yeah, I'm wondering if I wasn't a fool for not driving up to pick up that MCI, even with the price of gas. Chris would have done a bang-up restoration, no doubt. But talk about something taking up a bunch of real estate in a room...

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
An A-80 24 track with remote… like a fridge and a chest freezer? Seems totally reasonable. (Buying 2” tape on the other hand)

I nearly got a 48 channel board with 8 subs (Yamaha). It was $500 and included the power supplies and flight case. It was a bit big. And I passed on it.

Thanks Jim, I'm trying to buy up a lifetime supply of blank cassettes, and I think I have at least 200 of them now, and probably more like 300. Prices are going up, and after Christmas time they went up even more on eBay.

So far I've been fortunate buying blanks and ones recorded on, a couple of decent sellers on there and I've made out pretty good. But when I saw the UX they were a decent buy and I was just wondering what others thought. Thanks.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The best "buy", is pre-recorded premium tapes. For example, a pre-recorded TDK Metal (MA) will be $20+ NOS, but they can be had for under $10 (often less in quantity) pre-recorded. I've bought a lot of used SA tapes when I was on another site and those tapes are indistinguishable from NOS tapes when freshly recorded.

Yes I'm having good luck with the pre-recorded ones, I think many times all people did was I carved their vinyl and play them once in a while. I just bought a batch of Maxells and the J cards, and even the stick on labels were typed out on a typewriter, obviously somebody cared about their collection, and they really look like they were never played.

So far I only had one tape break on me during rewind and that was a Maxell UDXLIIS.

I just purchased a large lot of the XLIIS tapes, 85 in all and I don't think these were very used a bargain at $2.40 a tape

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Over the years I've been recording, the past ten years have seen Sony cassettes become my favourite go-to cassette for mix tape exchanges. And that goes across the spectrum of Type I, II, III and IV tapes. I have more sealed Sony cassettes than any other brand-name cassettes.

The Sony UX is a good entry-level Type II cassette. The hiearchy goes UX -> UX-S -> UX-ES -> UX-PRO.

Also there are UXS and UCX-S, from before the UX lineage, that are good as well.

Nando.

Thanks for the info Nando. I'm going to be using a Walkman Pro in the truck, and these would probably be good tapes for that. Probably won't notice much of a difference between tape qualities through the truck speakers. If I had to do all over again I would've put a cassette deck in it, and I still may do that in my one truck. As long as I can find pre-out for the sub I'm good.

The only thing is I'o at the mercy of ones that are up to 30 years old, so I need to know that it was refurbished well.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Was that cassette deck for your 2003 Ford F-150? My 2002 F-250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 has a factory AM/FM cassette. I'm sure a double-DIN aftermarket stereo or even a factory unit will fit in the dash.

My Pioneer Premiere FH-P5000MP:

Nando.