How to avoid the BANG on Phase Linear amp 400 Series Two

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Like Christmas again. That shielded, twisted pair you sent is neat stuff biut does not solder well at all. Gotta use rosin and lots of heat to get it to stick. I had used some for the DC protect AC feed.Tucked in very nice along the bottom with the low signal stuff with no inductance to the signal path. What's your take on it??
I probably pulled that cable out of my six. The wire may be old - I "found" it in another facility. One way to work around this problem is to pre-tin the wire before you install it.

In the goodie box there is some "new" twisted shielded 20 gauge wire - it was purchased this century. Let me know if you have problems with the new stuff.

Next go around I'll send you some solder sleeves. Do you have a heat gun?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Nav, I probably have the largest collection of heat guns in the rockies. I freeze up[ oil wells, and a torch aint always the smartest way to thaw them out....

I did finally go to the pre-tin method. If it wasn't teflon I'd of had a molten mass of insulation. The 20 gauge works like a charm.

Abascal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
the "nudies" of my 400 Series Two

We try Pascal, sometimes we even help. Pascal is a measure of pressure correct??
The good news : my brother in law came yesterday with the AR10pi speakers (which we brought to the repair shop) and with the Phase Linear Preamp, Expander and Amp 400 Series Two

Attached are the pics (oups, nudies : I like this word) of the beast. Tell me if it is enough to tell wich version it is (quasi or fully comp).

PHY_0664.jpg PHY_0667.jpg PHY_0668.jpg PHY_0666.jpg PHY_0663.jpg

I am travelleing to the US tomorrow for three days. So I need to make a quick decision today if it is worth ordering the White Oak board, subject to being easy to solder, as I may need to ask for a delivery to my hotel in the state of Nevada (I am leaving on Thursday back to France).
Cheers

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
What is standard power in France? 220v? I know some countries run higher home currents so could that be a factor to consider with the WOPL boards and the build in general??? Would you need a stepdown transformer and plug adapter???

The good news : my brother in law came yesterday with the AR10pi speakers (which we brought to the repair shop) and with the Phase Linear Preamp, Expander and Amp 400 Series Two

Attached are the pics (oups, nudies : I like this word) of the beast. Tell me if it is enough to tell wich version it is (quasi or fully comp).

View attachment 11692 View attachment 11693 View attachment 11694 View attachment 11695 View attachment 11696

I am travelleing to the US tomorrow for three days. So I need to make a quick decision today if it is worth ordering the White Oak board, subject to being easy to solder, as I may need to ask for a delivery to my hotel in the state of Nevada (I am leaving on Thursday back to France).
Cheers

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Pascal, it's worth getting he White Oak board period. If you would, take the left 2 traansistor covers off and take a close up.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

View attachment 11692 View attachment 11693 View attachment 11694 View attachment 11695 View attachment 11696

Cheers
We have many White Oak upgraders in France :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
May?? I thought you had a dealer over there, I know you have a White Oak approved tech...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Losing 3 of your 4 defensive linemen, Bellicheck is a genius...
Yes, we miss Vince...it is the embodiment of teamwork that makes NE work, nobody on the team is a real superstar.

Wonder if Brady will go to Vereen and Edelman today or play the running game with Blount and Ridley?