How Hot is Hot

wkmc

Journeyman
hi group, just another question from, i should have studied when i was in school,
how hot/warm is a power amp allowed to get, i have a new ,to me,... pioneer elite m90 amp, if i lput a thermometer on the top resting on a store receipt(just to get it from being directely in contact with the metal cover) it gets sorta warm-plus, real close 110 F after 2 hrs of use at low output(loud enough to hear but low enough to hear the phone or door bell), not anything wrong with its sound, that my snuff box ear can notice do i need to start looking for another piece? i'm just not so sure how hot is hot.
thanks much, smart people... :)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have an Elite M-90 amplifier, too. I know my Pioneer SX-D7000 receiver ran about 92 F, while on overnight, idling. And that's about the warmest of my amps and receivers. I think 110 F is quite warm for the M-90. Obviously, you have the amplifier positioned so there's sufficient air circulation around it.

Nando.

wkmc

Journeyman
yeah, hot

i' may have jumped too soon, the bryston is at 112f.(i do like the bryston) but this is without ac (it sorta died the ac, and i havent got the new one yet)
just trying to error on the safer side, and i might just worry a little too much

Elite-ist

Staff member
yeah, but the grapevine hinted that you run your stuff at almost past W-D-O...
i just let the heat go to one of my brain cells, the other one told it to listen and shut up,
and i think that are the only two i have left.

nando, super nice set-up
Thanks, Bill. Which preamp are you using with the Pioneer Elite M-90?

Nando.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I remember an Ampzilla owner years ago boasting that his outputs operated at about the boiling point of water.

wkmc

Journeyman
Thanks, Bill. Which preamp are you using with the Pioneer Elite M-90?

Nando.

shamed to say, little kenwood 208, (all it does is fill the gap) the chiro is a piece of shit/POO,(whichever word you choose to use)

so i am back in the market for a preamp. really a couple would be even better, still gotto find one for the bryston too
ANY help finding a replacement will be appreciated

in this put together is .... kenwood 223 cd changer -- dbx 231 eq -- kenwood pre -- pioneer m 90 -- sansui speakers sp x8700 and sp x9000

i like the sansui speakers i think i have better speakers, but too lazy to do the swap(its all the moving that has to take place to make it work)

just stuff i found digging in the holes, cheap stuff. i want to try the sansui sp 2000 s, but i will probably wait until cooler times.
some where around here is/was one set of hpm 100's, some bose 901's, and some kind of jbl's(homemade box, really good build) and it has 075's and d-123(i think that is the #) i have yet to even try them either.

reasoning for this throw together is/was just to test the m90, and this is it's first run with me.
their is a m91 comming too good of a deal to say no to.

you got to have a dream
before a dream can come true.

too many darn toys, and i still only have two snuff boxes(my ears)

and the W-D-O is here too at times.

"K" i have blabbed enough,
later

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
shamed to say, little kenwood 208, (all it does is fill the gap) the chiro is a piece of shit/POO,(whichever word you choose to use)

so i am back in the market for a preamp. really a couple would be even better, still gotto find one for the bryston too
ANY help finding a replacement will be appreciated

in this put together is .... kenwood 223 cd changer -- dbx 231 eq -- kenwood pre -- pioneer m 90 -- sansui speakers sp x8700 and sp x9000

i like the sansui speakers i think i have better speakers, but too lazy to do the swap(its all the moving that has to take place to make it work)

just stuff i found digging in the holes, cheap stuff. i want to try the sansui sp 2000 s, but i will probably wait until cooler times.
some where around here is/was one set of hpm 100 pair, some bose 901's, and some kind of jbl's(homemade box, really good build) and it has 075's and d-123(i think that is the #) i have yet to even try them either.

reasoning for this throw together is/was just to test the m90, and this is it's first run with me.
their is a m91 comming too good of a deal to say no to.

you got to have a dream
before a dream can come true.

too many darn toys, and i still only have two snuff boxes(my ears)

and the W-D-O is here too at times.

"K" i have blabbed enough,
later

Dude if that's blabbing......what do I do??:angel3:

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's a number of speakers to draw from, Bill. So, you have an M-91 you just bought, too. If you think of a preamplifier to match the M-90, try the Pioneer Elite C-72. You won't be disappointed - I've had mine for a number of years and it's great.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
do you have a CU-C001 remote unit for that C-71 preamp? i have one, one of the most nicely finished programmable remotes PIONEER ever made...

Yes, I have that one and a drawer full of other Pioneer remote controls. Most of them were still available through Pioneer Electronics.

Nando.