How do I calibrate 400 S1 meters for 200 watts.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
So I calibrated my WOA S2 meters for 200 watts at 40 Vrms output per Joe's instructions.
Keeping the exact same testing setup, I can see that the S1 meters are calibrated for 100 watts at 20 Vrms output.
Turning the attenuators up to 40 Vrms output clearly pegs the meters hard, not good.
So I'm thinking I need to change the 13.1 kOhm resistor that's inline with the meters negative lead to a 26.2 kOhm, basically doubling the value.
The light bar pcbs are Joe's PL18A Revision B.
Any thoughts about this? Would have tried this prior to posting but don't have that resistor value.

Attachments

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Spent the morning listening to Black Sabbath digital files VERY loud testing the new S2 meters calibrated to 40 V and the S1 meters that are calibrated at 20 V.
I have to say Joe has this figured out and I'm not making any changes to resistors.
I have the S2 powering the subs and S1 driving the JBLs.
Somehow the meters are nicely balanced between the two amps.
Crank the system and it just becomes unbearably loud, just painful, just way way too damn loud, but still nice and clear. At this point the meters on both amps are really dancing but nicely balanced between the two and no signs of "pegging" the meters. And, there was still room to crank the volume further.
At my normal listening level the meters don't move at all, crank it a little, like just enough to annoy the wife, and they move a little. Watch a movie at normal listening level, and the explosions move the S2 meters a little.
Perfect. Both amps are finished.
Joe, you make a amazing product. Thank you.