How can I tell if PL 700ii has had upgrades/repairs?

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
Wow, lots of PL info here. Newbie, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question.​
I'm going to look at a Phase Linear 700ii that supposedly sounds excellent. Which leads me to wonder/hope that maybe its had repairs and/or upgrades at some point over its lifetime.​
I'm not an electronic guru, but they said I could take the lid off and look inside, but no idea what I'm looking at. What should I look for? I really dont want to buy a bone stock very aged amp then have to spend a lot having it rebuilt. Hoping you guys can give me pointers on what matters most and what I should look for in trying to determine if its had anything replaced.​
For instance, dont people add protection to them, and white oak boards...what does that stuff look like? What do the original caps look like so maybe I can tell if what's there is original or not.​
Thanks!​

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
As you have an opportunity to flip the lid, take lots of pics clearly showing the components.
Also, especially of the output transistors, [with the black covers removed] and make sure your pics are sharp enough to see the part numbers on the trannies and post them all here.
People here will instantly be able to tell you what's authentic and what isn't.
If bits have been replaced, they are generally done with current components and usually not originals.
Good luck.
I'm sure others will chip in shortly....

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
As you have an opportunity to flip the lid, take lots of pics clearly showing the components.
Also, especially of the output transistors, [with the black covers removed] and make sure your pics are sharp enough to see the part numbers on the trannies and post them all here.
People here will instantly be able to tell you what's authentic and what isn't.
If bits have been replaced, they are generally done with current components and usually not originals.
Good luck.
I'm sure others will chip in shortly....
I would like to do it that way but when I go look, I will need to buy it right then (or pass on it).

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
White Oak boards are bright green,itll be obvious. They also have White Oak printed on them. Old power supply caps are silver, new ones blue. The back wall will ge a bunch of sockets and point to point wiring or two circuit boards if its White Oaked..

pennysdad

Tagline
Flip off the individual covers between the heatsinks and check the output transistors for obvious replacements.
Ones that don't belong there [ie different numbers or manufacturer] will stand out.

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
The back wall will ge a bunch of sockets and point to point wiring or two circuit boards if its White Oaked..
To make sure I understand this part correctly....are you saying in stock form the back wall will have a bunch of sockets and point to point wiring. But the White Oak replaces that with two circuit boards?

Also, isnt there some kind of protection people add? I've heard they are bad to kill speakers if something shorts so people add protection. If that's true, what would that look like?

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes on the circuit boards. DC protect will be a small circuit board mounted on the speaker posts, to the right of the main driver board..

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
If this amp is pretty much stock but working good, what do you guys think is a good price range?

Are there some upgrades that are not very hard to do (I have minimal soldering experience) that make a significant difference in sound without doing the entire rebuild? Something like replacing caps and a few other things easy to do? How much would the basics cost?

Trying to decide how much I'll be into the amp for with doing some minimal sound upgrades. (I dont need more power but better SQ is always nice)

Last edited:

pennysdad

Tagline
The market is full of surprises. Some sell cheap. Some not so.
Too many variables. Cosmetics. Service history. Has it already been done. Listening test. Any known issues. The list is endless.
It's a matter of haggling for the best price for what it is, keeping all those above points in mind, and what you can afford.
I guess anything under $500 is good. Anything over, then it better be better than average. I'm just guessing tho'.
Generally, if it's only had home use, you might be safe. But if it's from any part of the music industry, eg PA use, then beware.

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
The market is full of surprises. Some sell cheap. Some not so.
Too many variables. Cosmetics. Service history. Has it already been done. Listening test. Any known issues. The list is endless.
It's a matter of haggling for the best price for what it is, keeping all those above points in mind, and what you can afford.
I guess anything under $500 is good. Anything over, then it better be better than average. I'm just guessing tho'.
Generally, if it's only had home use, you might be safe. But if it's from any part of the music industry, eg PA use, then beware.

Do you have any thoughts on what are some easy upgrades that make a decent difference in sq, obviously caps. I dont think I can rebuild the whole thing...but I can swap a few easier parts. I've read all the WOPL stuff is pretty advanced work.

pennysdad

Tagline
If it's in good working condition, then enjoy it for what it is first for a while.
Upgrades can come later otherwise you won't be able to make comparisons and enjoy them.
I can't think of any 'easier parts' that you can 'swap' that will make that much difference.
When these get upgraded, it's generally 'all or nothing.'
Use the 'search' to find stuff.

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
If it's in good working condition, then enjoy it for what it is first for a while.
Upgrades can come later otherwise you won't be able to make comparisons and enjoy them.
I can't think of any 'easier parts' that you can 'swap' that will make that much difference.
When these get upgraded, it's generally 'all or nothing.'
Use the 'search' to find stuff.
I've been reading up on it...I guess that's why I couldnt find much except basic repair work and replacing caps, or full on WO...not much in between I suppose.

Honestly, it its works well and all in spec I probably dont need to do anything....BUT, it seems like there are those who do not like the 700ii sound. I'm not sure what it is they dont like, but that worries me a bit.

pennysdad

Tagline
The first thing you'll notice is the amazing space 'above' the music. It's called 'headroom'.
The sound is effortlessly reproduced.
There are those that don't like a lot of things. That's their problem. Don't make it yours.
You're gonna love the 700 II.....

SPOautos

New Around These Parts
There are those that don't like a lot of things. That's their problem. Don't make it yours.
You're gonna love the 700 II.....
Thats actually life advice right there! Thank you for reminding me of that! Excellent advice.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it this weekend!