Hitachi HMA-8300 class G power amp

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Another example of a good idea implemented badly. IIRC the regulator circuits weren't up to the challenge.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have an SR-5010 'Class H' receiver.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Class "H" was an attempt to adjust the power supply voltage by a continous dynamic regulation instead of switching to set higher voltage rail as in class G, class G also required another set of outputs.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Clever design yes, what inherent efficiencies were perpetrated were wiped out by the fact you had 2 separate SETS of outputs with 2 different SETS of power supply rails, the later class H (enhanced G whatever) went further with a constantly varying supply depending on the load. Ther are some other draw backs such as the PWM(pulse width modulation ) frequency needing to be in the MHZ region for Hi- Fidelity, and the chances of picking up RFI or EMI radiation grows exponentially as you leave the audio range. Need more detail??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A proper power supply is as much a component of the amplifier design as anything. An unregulated PS such as used in a class AB is not inherently inferior to any other design given the proper attention to ripple reduction and ultimately the amps power supply rejection ratio is the determining factor to the overall PS performance. It is also not more prone to rail injection of undesireables (RFI, EMI, etc.) as any other design given the proper construction details and techniques( proper uncoupling caps, separating AC/DC wire runs......etc.

orange

Tagline
laatsch55 said:
Class "H" was an attempt to adjust the power supply voltage by a continous dynamic regulation instead of switching to set higher voltage rail as in class G, class G also required another set of outputs.
What I know is that it's 25 wpc, 1979 and gets warm fast like Technics New Class A without the hybrid amp. That would predate 'non-switching' Pioneers like SA-1040/50 by around 4 years or so.

And if I'd have looked at my own picture it is ALSO a G.

The number of inputs is kinda sad anyway...only a tape loop and phono.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Soundcraftsman was the principal Class H proponent. All of these dual or variable rail schemes were attempts to make high power amps without the tremendous heatsink and transformers required to meet the US rules on power ratings. If we had never left the IHF and any method I want to make up days, we would still have simple amps, and the big amps would be heavy.

orange

Tagline
It WAS more fun having a 200 watt Pioneer or Fisher in 1968...they spoiled the fun?

Oh well, with the stuff played then would you notice?

(Oh, for the daze when your amplifier could smoke worse than YOU)

"The film of today's demonstrations we had planned to show you is not available so our our Action 5 Team will re-enact it for you now, with the help of Suburban Security's K-9 patrol, these are Charles and Fred with their dogs Ace and Justice"...

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
laatsch55 said:
Thanks Nak. My thoughts exactly, except about the IHF.
How about a thread where we list all those old power rating acronyms? IHF was all I could think of. NAD earned their cohones when they dredged up "music power" and gave good reasons why it was a practical power rating method.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
nakdoc said:
laatsch55 said:
Thanks Nak. My thoughts exactly, except about the IHF.
How about a thread where we list all those old power rating acronyms? IHF was all I could think of. NAD earned their cohones when they dredged up "music power" and gave good reasons why it was a practical power rating method.
A most excellent :sign7: , would you honor us and start one?