Help-WOPL 700b Lost Left Channel Bias

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Hello Guys,
I think the detective work is over, time to enjoy some music! I pulled the left backplane board and found the issue. When I initially set up the amp, I had gotten pretty far into the assembly and the "violet" wire on the left channel, fell off in my hand. I had checked these connections to the board many times, and thought, maybe I could top solder, after I removed what was left of the wire in the board. I carefully used a solder sucker, and pulled the wire that remained, out of the board......or so I thought. Anyway the top solder job, looked good, checked good, and away I went. Long story short, (and I know you are already ahead of me) I did not get all of the original wire/solder out and when I installed the new wire from the top, I pushed it through. It must have been rolling around under the board like a pinball, and finally found a home. It was very obvious once I pulled the board up. So, thank you Joe for suggesting that. That is where the errant short was.
Now for my complaint to the Forum. When I joined there was never a disclaimer of any kind, at just how freakin' addicting this is !!!!! I love music, and have since I was born. I also enjoy equipment that lets me enjoy that music. I have enjoyed my Phase Linear equipment with all of it's quirks and idiosyncrasies for over 40 years. I am listening to a "lineup" (yes, addicting!......can't stop at 1...or 10!) of albums that are near and dear to me. I know every drum roll, guitar riff, and grunt and groan on them......at least I thought I did. I am amazed at what I am hearing on some of my old favorites, that I honestly never heard before. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but "amazed" does not even come close to describing the enjoyment!
I have my other 700b to go through, but I am really hearing this music for the first time.....I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Thank you to everyone here for your help and support. Pretty amazing group of people! In the picture the amp next to the turntable is the WOPL 700b, and the other one just has the new caps, LED board, and the WA Relay board in it, It sounds good......but nothing like the White Oak unit.....Wow!!!! Now, back for another fix : )
Thank You everyone!

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hello Guys,
I think the detective work is over, time to enjoy some music! I pulled the left backplane board and found the issue. When I initially set up the amp, I had gotten pretty far into the assembly and the "violet" wire on the left channel, fell off in my hand. I had checked these connections to the board many times, and thought, maybe I could top solder, after I removed what was left of the wire in the board. I carefully used a solder sucker, and pulled the wire that remained, out of the board......or so I thought. Anyway the top solder job, looked good, checked good, and away I went. Long story short, (and I know you are already ahead of me) I did not get all of the original wire/solder out and when I installed the new wire from the top, I pushed it through. It must have been rolling around under the board like a pinball, and finally found a home. It was very obvious once I pulled the board up. So, thank you Joe for suggesting that. That is where the errant short was.
Now for my complaint to the Forum. When I joined there was never a disclaimer of any kind, at just how freakin' addicting this is !!!!! I love music, and have since I was born. I also enjoy equipment that lets me enjoy that music. I have enjoyed my Phase Linear equipment with all of it's quirks and idiosyncrasies for over 40 years. I am listening to a "lineup" (yes, addicting!......can't stop at 1...or 10!) of albums that are near and dear to me. I know every drum roll, guitar riff, and grunt and groan on them......at least I thought I did. I am amazed at what I am hearing on some of my old favorites, that I honestly never heard before. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but "amazed" does not even come close to describing the enjoyment!
I have my other 700b to go through, but I am really hearing this music for the first time.....I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Thank you to everyone here for your help and support. Pretty amazing group of people! In the picture the amp next to the turntable is the WOPL 700b, and the other one just has the new caps, LED board, and the WA Relay board in it, It sounds good......but nothing like the White Oak unit.....Wow!!!! Now, back for another fix : )
Thank You everyone!
Glad you found it, it is usually something simple like that to cause so much grief. Enjoy it!

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Yeah, WOAD makes kick-ass products. Enjoy that amp before you give it back(maybe delay a few days) to your nephew.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Hello George,
That is exactly what I am going to do! I told him that I have some more R&D to do on it : ).
Appreciate your help George,
Have a great weekend.
Thank You