Help with identifying this PL amp in front of me, very early Phase Linear?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Maybe not, but it won't hurt either... Almost anything would be better than the fruit salad of outputs he has now including two brands of 2SD555 and several no-name devices.
True dat, especially those 2SD555s. I think Dan said they were all fried.

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
Maybe not, but it won't hurt either... Almost anything would be better than the fruit salad of outputs he has now including two brands of 2SD555 and several no-name devices.
Sorry, I’ve been out for a few, I breed Australian Labradoodles and the week the puppies go home is pretty hectic lol.

I repaired a Bryston power amp for someone (4B SST, I think, it’s been awhile). I told him that I had a PL Dual 500 (back when they could have “Dual” in the name) that I wanted to White Oak. Came to find out that I guess there are no White Oak options for the Dual 500 power amp, but he asked if I could do his PL700. I said sure, it needed repair and a bit of a restoration anyways. I’ll ask him where he got it exactly.

Sounds like the options really are to repair it and rebuild it as it, while it’ll make power it may not be the most reliable. It’s fairly rare in this form, so it may be a shame to some folks to alter it.

Other option is to basically rebuild it from the ground up, new chassis, new back plate, new heat sink, at that point I can White Oak it. Does this sound correct?

Thank you all for the help.
Dan

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
After talking with him it sounds like he worked for a place in Eugene, Or (about an hour south of me) and they would get the new PL and Carver stuff when it first came out and this was one of those items. After explaining the history to him a bit he too feels like it would be somewhat of a bummer to completely alter it. He would rather buy another PL700 and have me White Oak that one. The plan is to still rebuild this one, get good On Semi outputs into it, and run with it.

He really wants to use it, but needs some type of protection in it. If the outputs were to short again the rail voltages being sent to the speaker would cook it quickly. Does anyone know if the White Oak protection boards would work in this amp? Or whatever options there might be?

Thank you,
Dan

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
After talking with him it sounds like he worked for a place in Eugene, Or (about an hour south of me) and they would get the new PL and Carver stuff when it first came out and this was one of those items. After explaining the history to him a bit he too feels like it would be somewhat of a bummer to completely alter it. He would rather buy another PL700 and have me White Oak that one. The plan is to still rebuild this one, get good On Semi outputs into it, and run with it.

He really wants to use it, but needs some type of protection in it. If the outputs were to short again the rail voltages being sent to the speaker would cook it quickly. Does anyone know if the White Oak protection boards would work in this amp? Or whatever options there might be?

Thank you,
Dan
Hi Dan
It is a Watts Abundant protection board. White Oak does not do that piece of the puzzle.

Joe

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
My temptation would be to install some known good PL909 output transistors that were around at the time of your very early PL700 instead of the 2SD555's. Then I would get it working and place it on a shelf as a token to the Phase Linear gods.

Afterwards, I would find a nice old original PL700B or Series II and add the White Oak Audio and Watts Abundant protection board to it as my daily listening amp. You will be a happy camper.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Sorry, I’ve been out for a few, I breed Australian Labradoodles and the week the puppies go home is pretty hectic lol.

I repaired a Bryston power amp for someone (4B SST, I think, it’s been awhile). I told him that I had a PL Dual 500 (back when they could have “Dual” in the name) that I wanted to White Oak. Came to find out that I guess there are no White Oak options for the Dual 500 power amp, but he asked if I could do his PL700. I said sure, it needed repair and a bit of a restoration anyways. I’ll ask him where he got it exactly.

Sounds like the options really are to repair it and rebuild it as it, while it’ll make power it may not be the most reliable. It’s fairly rare in this form, so it may be a shame to some folks to alter it.

Other option is to basically rebuild it from the ground up, new chassis, new back plate, new heat sink, at that point I can White Oak it. Does this sound correct?

Thank you all for the help.
Dan
PM Grapplesaw, he has White Oaked a D 500....

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
PM Grapplesaw, he has White Oaked a D 500....
Oh really?!? I contacted White oak some time back, maybe a year or two ago, and if I’m remembering correctly they told me they don’t have them. He said that he wasn’t that familiar with the circuitry as he hadn’t had one. I could be putting words in his mouth, so really Id have to look up my email to get it word for word. I just remember being bummed it wasn’t available, but supposedly it was their best amp? So maybe it didn’t need all that much.

I did happen to talk to Grapplesaw, he mentioned he had mods for his 500s, didn’t know they were White Oak though. Very cool. I want to finish this PL700 first and then tackle the Dual 500.

I know this is a PL board so I know there may be some bias, but I just recently finishes an all out resto of a Marantz Model 500 and curious how you all think the dual 500 would stack up against the Marantz. The PL will have more power certainly. Not sure if I’ll keep both, but definitely prefer the looks of the PL.

Dan

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Doing the “G” board unit now , well sorta now as I am at the lake right now. This unit is taking on some extra stuff. Top secret you know. Shooting for that stable 2 - 3 ohm load output mark. May never make it but got some tricks up my sleeve so we will see

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman

Thank you,
Dan
If he wants to keep it closer to original and I would if I owned that one, he can fuse the speakers with 2.0 - 5.0 ampish range units, value depending on speaker power handling. This works quite well. I used to run a stock unit and blew it up regularly on a pair of CV D9's (taking out trannies and going full rail). The speaker fuses always went first, never had to replace any drivers in the D9's, ever, and I pushed em very very hard.

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
If he wants to keep it closer to original and I would if I owned that one, he can fuse the speakers with 2.0 - 5.0 ampish range units, value depending on speaker power handling. This works quite well. I used to run a stock unit and blew it up regularly on a pair of CV D9's (taking out trannies and going full rail). The speaker fuses always went first, never had to replace any drivers in the D9's, ever, and I pushed em very very hard.
Interesting thought, certainly a much cheaper option. Looks like the board from Watts Abundance is about $100. I could get a blank PCB for like $30-$40 was it? After buying the parts to populate and the time to do it, just makes sense to buy the built board. Your option would be under $10 for the fuse holders and such.
I want to say he’s running a pair of large Infinity towers, RS II come to mind.

Dan

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Oh really?!? I contacted White oak some time back, maybe a year or two ago, and if I’m remembering correctly they told me they don’t have them. He said that he wasn’t that familiar with the circuitry as he hadn’t had one. I could be putting words in his mouth, so really Id have to look up my email to get it word for word. I just remember being bummed it wasn’t available, but supposedly it was their best amp? So maybe it didn’t need all that much.
Dan
Gepetto is White Oak.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

I did happen to talk to Grapplesaw, he mentioned he had mods for his 500s, didn’t know they were White Oak though. Very cool. I want to finish this PL700 first and then tackle the Dual 500.

I know this is a PL board so I know there may be some bias, but I just recently finishes an all out resto of a Marantz Model 500 and curious how you all think the dual 500 would stack up against the Marantz. The PL will have more power certainly. Not sure if I’ll keep both, but definitely prefer the looks of the PL.

Dan
Yes at the time, I told you to talk to Glenn the D-500 expert as he had done multiple conversions. Same answer I give everyone that asks me about D-500s...
:)

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I find it interesting that people come to this forum for guidance. When said guidance is given one of two things happen They take the advice with joy and glee or they argue and tell us about someone they never met but must be an expert and how to do it an other way. I guess this is the Freedom of free speech. I have spent countless hours studying Phase Linear. There is no resources better or even close to this site. So if you do end up here I suggest you listen more and argue less. You might end up with some of the most innovative and excellent equipment you can get. Stop trying to save two cents and do it right
Now if you have better ideas then what you find on this site. Please share. Present your information in a positive light. You will be applauded when you do. I know I have sometimes a twist on things. But I build it then test it then boast about it.

Just the way I feel

mlucitt

I find it interesting that people come to this forum for guidance.
Most of our "guidance" comes after the smoke clears, the screwdriver gets welded to the capacitor screw, the fuse blows, or the speaker catches on fire.
We would prefer that you not have the same experience.
Right Lee?

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
I find it interesting that people come to this forum for guidance. When said guidance is given one of two things happen They take the advice with joy and glee or they argue and tell us about someone they never met but must be an expert and how to do it an other way. I guess this is the Freedom of free speech. I have spent countless hours studying Phase Linear. There is no resources better or even close to this site. So if you do end up here I suggest you listen more and argue less. You might end up with some of the most innovative and excellent equipment you can get. Stop trying to save two cents and do it right
Now if you have better ideas then what you find on this site. Please share. Present your information in a positive light. You will be applauded when you do. I know I have sometimes a twist on things. But I build it then test it then boast about it.

Just the way I feel
Was I being argumentative in anyway??? I don’t believe I implied anywhere that I was going to try to save a penny or two. I have taken everybody’s suggestions and offered a thank you in return. I’m just trying to figure out the best route for this piece and I’ve received suggestions from rebuild it in its stock form all the way to suggestions of only keeping the transformer and face plate to completely rebuild it to a White Oak 700 in the more common issue. I feel like this is kind of coming out of nowhere. I’ve thanked you for any advice given through PMs and in the open. Please point out where I pushed back in any way. I plan on letting you be the maestro to my 500 rebuild while I’m just the hands doing the work.

Unfortunately this 700 isn’t mine and I can’t spend whatever I want on my it. I can only relay the options and costs onto the owner and while I can advise, he needs to make the final decision.

The Dual 500 on the other hand is completely mine and I can spend what I please rebuilding it.
Dan

Last edited: