Help with identifying this PL amp in front of me, very early Phase Linear?

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
Most of our "guidance" comes after the smoke clears, the screwdriver gets welded to the capacitor screw, the fuse blows, or the speaker catches on fire.
We would prefer that you not have the same experience.
Right Lee?
I’ve been doing this for quite awhile, easily is the high triple digits when it comes to restored or repaired solid state pieces. Some being amplifiers far larger than these. Anyone who shorts out their capacitors with a screw driver needs to set the iron down and walk away. Now when it comes to modding an early run amplifier that really doesn’t have all that much documentation on it (at least with only 16 outputs) then yeah, I’ll ask fir suggestions. If it comes to just repairing and rebuilding it as is then I could handle that on my own, but truthfully I didn’t even really know what I had, either did white oak for that matter.

Dan

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Was I being argumentative in anyway??? I don’t believe I implied anywhere that I was going to try to save a penny or two. I have taken everybody’s suggestions and offered a thank you in return. I’m just trying to figure out the best route for this piece and I’ve received suggestions from rebuild it in its stock form all the way to suggestions of only keeping the transformer and face plate to completely rebuild it to a White Oak 700 in the more common issue. I feel like this is kind of coming out of nowhere. I’ve thanked you for any advice given through PMs and in the open. Please point out where I pushed back in any way. I plan on letting you be the maestro to my 500 rebuild while I’m just the hands doing the work.

Dan
Not upset with you
I am upset with the guy who may have worked on Phase linears in the past. His advice needs some adjustment in my eyes. Yes keep it in the original concept. But you can replace all the back plain with new parts, I have them if you them if you need them, and do some minor upgrades such as mj21196 outputs new film emiter resistors new Bridge rectifier new power caps and have Some discussions to replace the control board should be had. I would replace it and then frame the old one for posterity But that is my thoughts only. It’s your amp and you will do what is best for you.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Was I being argumentative in anyway??? I don’t believe I implied anywhere that I was going to try to save a penny or two. I have taken everybody’s suggestions and offered a thank you in return. I’m just trying to figure out the best route for this piece and I’ve received suggestions from rebuild it in its stock form all the way to suggestions of only keeping the transformer and face plate to completely rebuild it to a White Oak 700 in the more common issue. I feel like this is kind of coming out of nowhere. I’ve thanked you for any advice given through PMs and in the open. Please point out where I pushed back in any way. I plan on letting you be the maestro to my 500 rebuild while I’m just the hands doing the work.

Unfortunately this 700 isn’t mine and I can’t spend whatever I want on my it. I can only relay the options and costs onto the owner and while I can advise, he needs to make the final decision.

The Dual 500 on the other hand is completely mine and I can spend what I please rebuilding it.
Dan

Don't worry bout it Dan. Geezers long in the tooth can get a bit cranky now and again. Prolly some ache or pain at the time of writing contributing to a cranky retort.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Dan, communicating via messaging is messy. I have real issues with it due to missing or misinterpreting the nuances, and lack of "body language". Don't sweat it, everything is cool, glad your aboard.
Thanks for sharing the photos of that very cool early 700 and hope you make progress on your Dual.
The issue with WOPLing a Dual is there's no backplane boards for it, but don't let that stop you from adapting a WOA control board to it if you want to go that route.
Best regards.

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
When you upgrade that Dual, start a thread, lots of photos and commentary.
Oh I certainly will! I’ve been in contact with Grapplesaw and he has been giving some guidance. I’ll wait until he is done with his current 500 build so that he can tell which is the best route to go. Or I could find two more Dual 500s and build all three options.

Dan

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
Hey all, I was hoping to get another question answered. I emailed White Oak and I’m sure they’re extremely busy or occasionally miss an email, so don’t blame them at all for not getting back to me. As I mentioned previously, the owner doesn’t want to alter this time capsule as far as rebuilding it to a more common 700, but would like to upgrade the lighting on the meters. Would any of the lighting options on White Oak work on this unit? Is there a specific one I should go for?

Thank you,
Dan

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey all, I was hoping to get another question answered. I emailed White Oak and I’m sure they’re extremely busy or occasionally miss an email, so don’t blame them at all for not getting back to me. As I mentioned previously, the owner doesn’t want to alter this time capsule as far as rebuilding it to a more common 700, but would like to upgrade the lighting on the meters. Would any of the lighting options on White Oak work on this unit? Is there a specific one I should go for?

Thank you,
Dan
No options Dan. 700B and 400 series 1 yes but original 700 layout, no.

Saabracer23

New Around These Parts
Hi Dan
If money and time were no object, we would have them. Unfortunately time and money are not unlimited :)
Haha don’t I know it! I’m sure the demand wouldn’t be worth the effort either. I’ll see if I can’t work up a circuit to run LEDs from the voltage there or he can just stay with the incandescents. Reminds me, I need to order those filters from you, on it.

Thank you,
Dan

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ahhh okay, well I know there are definitely people who do it on purpose.

Dan
Me too, just had to do it to some 100,000 uf 24 volt caps....trip wired a solid 1/4" steel rod to short out some terminals...vaporized the 1/4" rod and pissed off the neighbors...