Help a Cowboy Out!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Spent the evening with my cousin in law, the rancher/C & W guitar player. Paul do you still have the Vibrolux??

He got a pair of JBL 4311A's. Hooked em up tonight, I see why people like em. He got em for 5.00, at a ranch sale in Belle Fourche. Now, he's a pretty good guitar player, a fair rancher and a hell of a nice guy. What would it take for him to be able to record to CD?? O have some Shure mics he can have but where to from there??

Couple of Pics, his Guitar Lounge is the mancave, the other one is a classic western hat tree as you walk in the door. Ball cap, horse bridle and bit, whip, lariat, and finallt boots, CLASSIC!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
BTW, Dinner was----1-1/2" thick pork chops that were as big as a T-Bone (home grown pig), garden sweet corn, mashed taters and gravy, biscuits, baked beans, green beans....... and a ranchers wife cookin it......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It waasn't boot time at the Duck Creek Ranch today though, he was wearing his winter crocs, as was I.....

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Lee, he can check out Protools, you can try it for free. Great recording software and it's got tons or amp models to boot, every effect you can think of etc... Most of my guitar player friends have this already for recording their demo tracks to CD

Robroy

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Audacity is free. It works. It's a good way to get your feet wet.

I'm still using Sonar 1.03 for most of my stuff and I have Cubase LE on my Windows 7 computer that will not work with my version of Sonar.

Most of the software is crazy expensive compared to other windows software. The good news is that it can last you years. I've been using Sonar 1.03 since 2001. It does everything I need it to do for really great recordings.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've gotta get my Kustom cleaned up and recapped and I don't even know which model it is...it's just known as KILLER.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Lee,

The easiest way would be for me to move to Wyoming as I have lots of things that could get him started..... :)

If your friend has a Win XP or Win 7 PC I would look at one of the USB interfaces from a variety of different manufactures. Most of the interfaces come with some basic recording software to get one started. There are several open source / public domain multi-track recording programs which will work with most of the interfaces available on the market as well.

Focusrite, Tascam, Protools, M-audio are just a couple of the brands that come to mind. I bought a Focusrite a few months back that is pretty nice for about $200.

If a stand-along system is desired, Tascam and Roland have several all in one boxes which can go from microphone to CD. I have an older Roland VS1680 as an example. I see these types of units on Craigslist fairly often for not much $'s compared to what they were new.

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well then, start packin!!

Robert, the stand alone package is what I was after. I think he would love the mic to CD thing. The simpler the better, especially if it involves a computer. Thanks.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Lee,

Ha, I have been working on cleaning things out of the house and getting rid of stuff not worth moving.... I really want out of MN in the very near future, this state is totally nuts in so many ways! :)

A question: Does your friend want to do multi-track recording or is it more set up a couple mics and just record whatever? I would use different equipment depending on the answer. For the later I just bought a stereo digital recorder (Tascam DR100MKII), portable, two mic inputs, does a nice job recording various music formats to an SD memory card. You can dump the material to a PC and record a CD all very easy.

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Robert, now I think we're getting somewhere. I think initially he wants to record some stuff he plays by himself in the mancave, but I can see where later he might want to record some 2-3 people jammin..

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Lee,

Check out the Tascam DR100MKII mentioned in the prior post. It's a very cool recorder and even has 4 microphones built in and a bunch of other features. I bought one over the Christmas break, $260.00 (special sale price). It also has a speed control which is great for a musician so you can tune a song to match your guitar or slow something down to learn a part. It looks like this will more than replace my portable Marantz cassette decks.

There are some cheaper units but they lack most of the cool features, especially for a musician.

Robert