Hello. New to PL and PACF

BingenEE

New Around These Parts
Hi, I just joined up due to having received some PL gear recently. I've has all Pioneer stuff for many years, so that was my main area of interest. However about a year or so ago I took on a repair, for a friend, of a PL 700 that went up in smoke. I read a lot about these amps and the Pl history, etc. Anyway, the PL700 repair was successful and I've used it off and on for the last year, as the friend doesn't need it back at the moment.

But now just last month a neighbor dropped off a PL 400 amp and PL 4000 pre-amp as compensation for repairing some non-vintage gear, so I've accidentally become a PL fan. Since it appears that I'll be working on and using the PL stuff for the present, I joined up here as they say this is the place with the most PL experience.

I've already tinkered with the 400 and 4000 and got them up and running, but not to my satisfaction, so there's more to be done. So I'll be asking for assistance from all the expert knowledge that resides here.

Thank you all in advance!

norm

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
BingenEE, you sound like you know what you are doing inside these units. Most of us got here the same way you did. We knew we had something good that was no longer manufactured with the same quality, and upgrading just seemed to make sense.

Lee, I think we should write up a addendum or timeline to the PL history to describe the more recent history of PL since White Oak Audio came on the scene in 2008 and the resurgence of interest (and price) of this awesome gear, it is certainly as significant as what led up to the popularity of the PL 700B back in the day. I could start it, you could add to it, and then send it to Joe for final editing. It should be documented...

BingenEE

New Around These Parts
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've already sunk many, many hours into the 4000 - cleaning and re-soldering. Definetly a challange, that one is. Got the basics working on it. Waiting on parts now to fix the log amp so the correlator might function again.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Welcome aboard !
For 4000 replace rear connectors and recap .
I restored 2 units and 1 PL 1000.
Ciao
Marco

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome aboard, Norm. As you mentioned having Pioneer components, I am interested in what you have/had.

Nando.

BingenEE

New Around These Parts
Hi Nando,

I've had various Pioneer cassette decks and TT's over the years, that I do not have any more. My current Pioneers stock is an SX-3700 that I got new back-in-the day (1979) + 2 of the SX-D7000's. I use the 3700 regularly. Other than cleaning the pots and switching out the builbs for LED's, nothing's really been done to it. One D7000 I got as a basket case (almost every section needed somethng). I re-did tha amp board, new outoput BJT's, and fixed the tuner + power supply, and changed the bulbs for LED's. I've has the power meters lit up solid at 120W running 4x 8 ohm speakers (which would mean 240 W! out - if that's accurate) with no problems. The other D7000 is pretty much stock f I recall right - its on the shelf right now resting.

I put my Technics TT away to save space as I digitized the records I wanted to hear.

I've had some high end CD's ) Esoteric, Phillips with the TDA1541 crown DAC, but I currently use a 90's JVC player that I modified the output op-amp to a BB OPA, or Sound Plus, depending on what day it is - and that suits me fine.

I also have a bunch of DIY stuff that I rotate in and out of duty.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for the background, Norm. I don't know how many Pioneer SX-D7000 receivers were produced, but it can't be many as they are not too common to find. I have the SX-D7000. Stellar receiver. At our wedding in 2015, I used my SX-D7000 to power a pair of HPM-100s and pair of CS-66e speakers for more than eight hours straight, at moderate volume, at the reception hall. My wife and I compiled all the music for the reception, dinner, then dance, for the whole day.

DSC_0132_2.jpg SX-D7000.jpg

Nando.