Hello from the Orchard

tdickman83

New Around These Parts
Hi All,
Joined the forum a few days ago and have been reading and educating myself. Lots of great info. I have a PL 400 I bought new in 1978, while stationed in Wildflecken, Germany in the Army. Purchased at the Audio Photo Club. Had it repaired once in the 80’s at a shop in CA. It’s been sitting in my basement for 10 years since it started blowing the 5A supply fuses. Started up my basement as a man cave, so thought I would revive all my old equipment, just rebuilt my ESS AMT monitors. I bought an output relay speaker protection kit from wattsabundant. But before I install I think I need to replace some or all the output transistors, both channels are vaporizing fuses. The repair I had done in 80 they replaced 4 transistors, two of them were Toshiba 2SD371, the other two PL909 (i didnt know this then). Anyway looking for advice, should I replace all 12 of the output transistor PL909 and the 4 driver outputs RCA 66546? I followed the instructions in the service manual and ohm’d out each transistor. Column 1 and 2 the PL909 were 10.8 and 11.3 ohms. Column 3 and 4 which had replaced transistors were all about 1 ohm. The driver transistors ohmed out at 211, 242, 278 and 351 ohms.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Leave the 66546's---they are rebranded RCA 410's. Can't do better for a driver. If you have that many outputs blown there is a distinct possibility that
some emitter resistors are blown and possibly the pre-drivers on the driver board are toast. Follow the service manual, it'll get ya through most of that..
And welcome to Phoenix..

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Welcome!
I love ESS AMT's! I have a variety. My main rig has a pair of AMT 3 Rock Monitors for the front driven by a WOPL 400. Another PL400 drives a pair of Infinity RS with EMIT tweeters and Watkins woofers for rear. Carver C1s feeding both. See Avatar. Great group here with massive knowledge.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Hi All,
Joined the forum a few days ago and have been reading and educating myself. Lots of great info. I have a PL 400 I bought new in 1978, while stationed in Wildflecken, Germany in the Army. Purchased at the Audio Photo Club. Had it repaired once in the 80’s at a shop in CA. It’s been sitting in my basement for 10 years since it started blowing the 5A supply fuses. Started up my basement as a man cave, so thought I would revive all my old equipment, just rebuilt my ESS AMT monitors. I bought an output relay speaker protection kit from wattsabundant. But before I install I think I need to replace some or all the output transistors, both channels are vaporizing fuses. The repair I had done in 80 they replaced 4 transistors, two of them were Toshiba 2SD371, the other two PL909 (i didnt know this then). Anyway looking for advice, should I replace all 12 of the output transistor PL909 and the 4 driver outputs RCA 66546? I followed the instructions in the service manual and ohm’d out each transistor. Column 1 and 2 the PL909 were 10.8 and 11.3 ohms. Column 3 and 4 which had replaced transistors were all about 1 ohm. The driver transistors ohmed out at 211, 242, 278 and 351 ohms.

I was in the 2/15th "Top of the Rock" Battalion and in Wildflecken the same time as you. PM me... Maybe we knew each other.