Hello From Minneapolis

Dfries

New Around These Parts
Welcome! How do you like that Freya? I’m eyeballing one right now……
It’s a nice sounding pre but the volume/gain is very different verse any pre I’ve used. You need to be at 12 o’clock to really get a some decent sound and 2-3 to a decent listening level. I’m waiting on some NOS tubes to see if that helps with the tube gain. I had been using it with low watt class A diy so that could be part of it too. I haven’t tried the Freya/400 combo on my mains (JBL 4430) until I get the DC protect in.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It’s a nice sounding pre but the volume/gain is very different verse any pre I’ve used. You need to be at 12 o’clock to really get a some decent sound and 2-3 to a decent listening level. I’m waiting on some NOS tubes to see if that helps with the tube gain. I had been using it with low watt class A diy so that could be part of it too. I haven’t tried the Freya/400 combo on my mains (JBL 4430) until I get the DC protect in.
You need to get a SS pre. Most tube preamps have high output impedance, meant to drive high input impedance tube amps. The Dynaco PAS 3 was like that

Dfries

New Around These Parts
You need to get a SS pre. Most tube preamps have high output impedance, meant to drive high input impedance tube amps. The Dynaco PAS 3 was like that
You’re correct that it’s a bad pairing. I tried the Schiit with a 1.5 watt SET amp and got much better results.

Last edited: