Hello From Belgium

udo

New Around These Parts
Tagline
audio freak RF engineer
When we rebuild the listening room , we integrated a large bass trap that doubles as a record cabinet. The room needs it to take the pressure generated
Here included are my former speakers. Now in storage as I can not make myself sell them. Westlake. Under these were Double 18" subs also.
Cheers,
Udo.

Attachments

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Those Westlake’s are worth some serious coin, not to mention gorgeous.
So many people spend huge amounts of money on audio gear and never take into account their rooms, especially what’s reflecting behind them. I bet your system sounds epic, well done.

udo

New Around These Parts
Tagline
audio freak RF engineer
Those Westlake’s are worth some serious coin, not to mention gorgeous.
So many people spend huge amounts of money on audio gear and never take into account their rooms, especially what’s reflecting behind them. I bet your system sounds epic, well done.
Thanks, Indeed the system now sounds super to my ears. There are some small reflections that bother me , but that's the "limit" of damping I can do right now as my wife says , this is not a studio but a music room. And she's right of course. When we rebuild the room, we ripped out the floor ,to the concrete ,placed a thick layer of isolation and then placed a floating flooring over it. So in fact his is helping to damp the EXLF's in the room too.

On the Westlakes,
I was tempted by a customer of mine , who has already 2 sets in use: see ICP studio's in Brussels: https://www.icpstudios.com/
In Studio A, They placed a Meyer set that was complete rebuild by me. It's a 4" High driver TAD 4001 coupled with a horn , a 15" TAD Low and a double 18" TAD sub per side. That completely active with a vari motion control on the 15" and BSS BLU processing .
Studio B and Studio C have the Westlakes with original JBL components. Active driven for Low and Mid/high by Crown Reference amps and BSS BLU processing.
He wants mine for "extra" but mine are slightly different in components. The lows are TAD 1601B's and the High driver is a TAD TD2001.
I was not using the internal crossovers anymore. They are still in and functional , but I rather did the processing and amplification external.
Maybe I should consider selling them. We will see.
Cheers,
Udo.

udo

New Around These Parts
Tagline
audio freak RF engineer
Yep, just a few feet deeper..
Hello ,

Yes if you can "spare" a few feet , it makes a world of difference in frequency response in the low end. In studio's we get this as a full back wall and 1 to 2 meters deep filled with damping . So a real low frequency cutoff of below 20Hz is feasible.
1673101765175.png
The Yellow Space on the plan is the bass trap in this case.
Cheers,
Udo.