Hello from Alabama

Travis Henley

New Around These Parts
My name is Travis. I retired from my day job going on two years ago and have made myself busy with repair work for locals. I have been doing electronic repair and calibration for a long while. I hope to contribute something and learn some things as well. I have repaired a few Phase Linear amps..preamps..tuners and other interesting PL equipment. I currently have customer owned 700b with a blown right channel and that is what brought here. I like to do my homework before diving in. Thanks for reading this and I look forward doing some reading and asking some questions.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Welcome aboard..... Stock amps will and DO blow up.... Time for the ultimate White Oak Audio UPGRADE, WOPL City bro....

mlucitt

You came to the right place. There are some personalities here, but most of us are harmless PL fans. Your investment in White Oak Audio (WOA) components and knowledge will reward you with smiles (the local currency on this forum).

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
You came to the right place. There are some personalities here, but most of us are harmless PL fans. Your investment in White Oak Audio (WOA) components and knowledge will reward you with smiles (the local currency on this forum).

MOSTLY HARMLESS.

Travis Henley

New Around These Parts
Thanks for the warm welcome....it means alot. I have seen some WOA components in amplifiers and they are indeed very nice . I have one here now with the front board in it. I am happy to see a company making upgraded and more stable components for these beasts so we can keep them going and improve them. I love music and electronics and when they collide....its bliss to me. Im sure Ed Blackwood is here somewhere....he is a vault if knowledge on many subjects especially PL history and repair. I also enjoy the personalities and some hard truth about things and im not easily offended so no worries and bring it on. I stayed up a little late last night evaluating the 700b that I have on the bench. The right channel is kaput. Two shorted outputs on that side and a few stressed ones. I recapped the drive board and tested the semi's..they all look ok but I know they get leaky and noisy and cause failures. So..I pulled the bad outputs and fired it up just to see where i am at and get a baseline. It runs and that is encouraging. Now, I have to make a rebuild plan.

mlucitt

Go here: http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/estore.aspx
Order, assemble, and install a new PL14_20 Rev G1 Dual Mono Control Board, at a minimum! Opt for the Phoenix edge connectors, they make assembly so much easier. This is the original upgrade and prevents the dreaded "Flame Linear" syndrome that destroys speakers. There is a great story about how this Control Board came to be...
For added functionality and safety order the PL700 Capacitor Assembly. The original capacitors are 40-45 years old and typically are good for 15 years.
If you want nirvana (who doesn't), order the PL700 Backplane Kit and the Backplane Wire Kit, as well as (12) MJ211295G and (12) MJ21196G output transistors to convert your 700B from quasi-complementary to full complimentary architecture. (This is an advanced skills kit, you have to be VERY good with a small tip soldering pencil to build the backplanes. If you don't feel 100% confident after looking at the kit, send it to one of us and we will build them for you, for a small charge and shipping.

For cosmetics, order the PL700 LED Light Board Kit in your choice of colors (I recommend warm white to duplicate the original PL lamp color).
At that point you will have a full White Oak Phase Linear (WOPL) amp that will deliver about 1000 Watts of the cleanest power you have ever heard. I would hold the WOPL amp up against any power amplifier. And if you like it loud (many of us refer to this as Mach 10), you will never experience anything like it.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome to our forum, Travis. A few technicians are members, here. Amazing, how long some of this vintage audio gear has lasted.

Nando.