Hello everyone

HotSauce

New Around These Parts
Just absorbent panels,
But I also have diffusers (the panels have a poly-cylindrical shape --> the picture at the bottom left).
We also offer customizable or vegetated panels ;)
Here are a few examples : https://www.pytaudio.com/en/achievements/
Nice! Just wondering. In the past I've made my own absorber panels by framing 3 inch thick mineral wool in 1x4s and covering it with black stage fabric. Not as pretty as yours but if I hang em a few inches from the wall, BOY do they work well for the price! Really got rid of the resonance in my vocal booth.

danypyt

New Around These Parts
It doesn't surprise me, rock wool is rather an efficient material.
Its big interest is the price, and this is why many acoustic panels are made with rock and/or glass wool. Moreover, it is a material that is very easy to find.

Then it has some drawbacks:
1. It is very polluting to manufacture --> many human associations have been created to prevent the establishment of a factory near their homes.
2. Little is known about its effects on health (what is certain is that this material emits micro-particles and the manufacturers of these materials advise that great care be taken when handling this material).
3. It is not the insulation that will be the most durable over time in terms of performance.

In summary, it has its qualities and its defects :)

HotSauce

New Around These Parts
Cool article, good info.

Yeah, I was also a little worried about outgassing as well, so I put a thin layer of plastic coated paper sealed over the frame on both sides. I have a P95 mask for particulates so I wore that as well as gloves when handling the stuff - it is definitely kind of nasty. I believe it also contains formaldehyde, no?

My dad introduced me to the stuff a few years ago when he was building a small shack for his electric generator, he didn't want to bug the neighbors so he lined it with roxul. Works really well! I wasn't aware of the pollution to manufacture, but doesn't surprise me. Definitely something to keep in mind, maybe there are some brands that are better than others in that respect.

At the very least I don't think I will be purchasing more auralex any time soon. So expensive for what it does. I've seen many amateur music producers make the mistake of using only absorbers and no diffusers and end up with a room that sounds both dead in the high frequencies and still has bad room modes in the low frequencies.

Any materials you would recommend in place of mineral wool?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I've been to a plant in Wabash Indiana called Thermafiber that makes rock wool for insulation. I asked why it's called "rock" wool and they pointed out the huge pile of limestone. They heat it with other materials and spin fibers out of the mixture. The product I saw there looked like large thick insulation blankets that might be used to insulate large flat roof factories or big box stores. None of the guys I saw were wearing any PPE.
Go into a Owens Corning plant that makes that pink fiberglass insulation, and it's totally different, those guys are suited up because the fiberglass is just plainly more hazardous and irritating to the body.
I've lived in several houses that had rock wool blown into the attic and walls for insulation. Never found it irritating like fiberglass insulation is.

danypyt

New Around These Parts
HotSauce

Rock wool works well from an acoustic point of view, and the quality/price ratio is interesting. If you use a lot of it, the result will be there, so your feedback is not surprising.

And indeed, in musical environments, if you have the budget, diffusers (or even bass traps) will be indispensable to obtain a top-of-the-range result.

For the materials, everything will depend on the utility and what you want in terms of result (visual and acoustic). For sound insulation, there are more choices.
We wrote this article if you want to know more: https://www.pytaudio.com/en/acoustic-absorbent-phonic-and-soundproofing-materials/

George S.

It's quite for the manufacturing, we gave you good information ... and you remembered well :D
As far as PPE is concerned, these are internal documents from manufacturers who strongly recommend protection. It may not be indispensable in all countries, but it is in a good part of Europe.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
It's quite for the manufacturing, we gave you good information ... and you remembered well :D
As far as PPE is concerned, these are internal documents from manufacturers who strongly recommend protection. It may not be indispensable in all countries, but it is in a good part of Europe.

HUH????????????????????????