Hello everyone.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've been known to be Realistic occasionally...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Jim: Perhaps, later, you could add a few details of your interests/hobbies, musical interests, and what got you into vintage audio.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Well, it wasn’t “vintage” when I got into it.

For some reason, we had a subscription to High Fidelity magazine when I was in elementary school. I spent a lot of time drawing ridiculous systems with knobs, dials meters and big tape reels. There was another kid in school and he and I would compare our creations...

Slowly I started building a system. My current main system is the result of a few decades of refinement. But I think it’s done.

I’ve been playing drums for over 40 years, despite my failure in the music industry. I’ve played in big bands, marching band, drum corps style full band touring Europe a couple summers, jazz, rock, funk and progressive. We cut an EP with the progressive band.

I also enjoy restoration. It was cars and Land-Rovers when I had time and space; my latest work was a wagon for my son. Prior, and currently, restoring a TOTL Kenwood system.

KD-5070 table
KT-8300 tuner
KX-1030 cassette
KA-9100 integrated
Along with Yamaha NS-10T speakers. Maybe I’ll find some Kenwood ones at some point.

Other than that, I’m the senior engineer at a company overseeing the restoration of compressor blades and couplings for the P&W F100-229 engine. We also do an upgrade to the P&W F119 outer duct. Current project is PW4000 blades.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thanks Nando. I’ve kicked the tires a bit, but not replied elsewhere yet.

And I forgot to mention I used to do watch repair, but haven’t for about a year now. I have a few projects waiting for me on the bench...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Jim, I'd stick with the Yamahas a while in this case, Kenwood speakers never seemed to compare to their receivers and components for me.

That having been said, I have Polk Audio Monitor 4s on this desk driven by an Optimus mini-receiver, Marantz Imperial 5s for the main system off to the right and I've brewed with Altec Model Threes, Pioneers and Infinity RS-4000 cabs among several.

And I don't use Thiel-Small parameters or whatever, I just use sensible parts and make sure they are not messed up in the impedance or clip. Somehow I make it work, but it took some learning.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I also have a pair of Polks I found at the thrift for a few bucks. Easy enough to audition those as well.

I wanted the NS-10T because that was the one that became the “legendary” NS-10M, with the white woofers, seen on top of every mixing console in the world.

Before the Thiels, I had Vandersteen model 1’s. Those are also first-order crossovers and began my need for them. They are a complicated pain-in-the-ass to do well already, but Jim Thiel took it a step further with his control of phase issues. So the CS2.2 images far better than the Model 1 Vandersteens did. Both sound good. Frequency reproduction wise. But imaging is like taking off a welders mask with the Thiels. It was a huge loss to the community when Jim died. Plus the bang for the buck was massive, even buying new (which I could never afford). Plus, they’re not ugly.

Some .5’s are listed locally for reasonable money. If I had reasonable money I’d take a look. Those are simple ported 2-ways but got very good reviews when new.