Heads Up Vinyl Spinners................

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Definitely have to pick up this live Cars LP recorded live at the Agora........ growing up near Cleveland, OH I remember WMMS (home of the buzzard) used to have live lunch hour concerts from the Agora Ballroom!

Attachments

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
A little history on WMMS coffee break concerts and and excerpt from the attached link, never knew there was a tie between these coffee break concerts and MTV unplugged.....oh the glory days of FM radio!

https://buzzardbook.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/the-wmms-coffee-break-concerts/

The Agora move changed everything. We eventually changed the time of the show from 11 AM to 1 PM to draw the late lunch crowd. Hank was all for it for a number of reasons. Among them, admission was free, but the booze wasn’t and serving alcohol at 1 PM in the afternoon was found money.

The new venue allowed us to go electric, though we offered performers the option of doing an acoustic show. Most chose to be electric though one exception was John Cougar Mellencamp,whose acoustic show stood out as one of the best performance of the series.

Felix Cavaliere, formerly of the Rascals, used the show’s freedom in a different way, doing a solo performance with just keyboards – another amazing show.
Other acts included local and regional favorites, the Michael Stanley Band, American Noise, Wild Horses, the Godz, Lucky Pierre, Love Affair, I-Tal, Breathless, and the Jerry Busch Group.
National artists included U2, INXS, Bryan Adams, the Romantics, Cyndi Lauper, Artful Dodger, Donnie Iris & the Cruisers, the Fixx, Quiet Riot, and Foghat. We booked Alcatraz, a Swedish band featuring then-unknown guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen.

At the time UHF TV stations were carrying per inquiry commercials for a performer named Boxcar Willie. I half-joked about getting Boxcar Willie to do a Coffee Break – but Denny was dead serious, and managed to track him down and got him booked.
Cox Cable videotaped a few Coffee Break Concerts for its local access channel, though its cost couldn’t be justified by the cable company bean counters. One can only imagine what the video from those shows would be worth now.
Every show wasn’t flawless. The Scottish band Big Country walked off stage early in their set when lead singer Stuart Adamson stopped the show and said, “we can’t do this.†Their management claimed Adamsonlost his singing voice. In reality, the problem was with bassist Tony Butler, who was suffering from a dagger-pain hangover.
The Coffee Break Concerts came to an abrupt halt in October 1984when a fire did irreparable damage to the Agora following a WMMS Night Out concert with Blackfoot.
They briefly resurfaced four months later at Peabody’s Down Under in the Flats but by that time we were doing so many free concerts, live remotes, and WMMS Buzzard Appreciation Days that the Coffee Break no longer served the purpose it once had.

Though some performances by INXS, Marc Cohn, Warren Zevon, and Tom Waits turned up on bootlegs, bit torrents, or legitimate releases, nearly all the Coffee Break Concert tapes were lost or destroyed along with most of the other WMMS archival material.
Much more information on the Coffee Break Concerts can be found in Chapter 16 of The Buzzard.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I looked in my area and as usual The Record Exchange in Boise was listed but the place in Nampa is likely GONE because the building owner decided to terminate the lease to build something else and the poor guy who had devoted well over 33 years to his book and record shop didn't even know how he would finish liquidating (he was in the process but sales were slow).

Nobody in Nampa has any sense anyhow when it comes to business, it's just build crap for the tax breaks or whatever. Someday they will tear down businesses and archaeologists will find actual homes. Forget ancient native American burials.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Looking forward to upcoming Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary release and the RSD seven inch vinyl.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Definitely have to pick up this live Cars LP recorded live at the Agora........ growing up near Cleveland, OH I remember WMMS (home of the buzzard) used to have live lunch hour concerts from the Agora Ballroom!
Used to listen to WMMS all the time back in the '70's when reception was good. Great head station.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I believe I havce a Michael Stanley Band that was titled " Live at the Agora Ballroom" and if not MSB, I have an album by SOMEBODY with that title...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Not yet, got the cartridge sitting here. I was hoping it would slow down a little at work, but not yet so far...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The Runaways have a album called live at the Agora Ballroom also. That venue saw a lot of recordings

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Awful releases this year. I never would have imagined this RSD would have strayed so far from what it was. Prices have shot up, the releases keep getting worse and worse. Its so watered down now.

I havent had the urge to spin much vinyl lately not to mention buy anything. The whole scene has me a little jaded these days. I hardly fire up the system anymore.

Also my PL-71 died. Dont have any nice tables kicking around anymore to replace it for the time being. Maybe when my interest sparks up again, I'll look into replacing it if Bill cant get it fixed. Seems a lot of times though when they quit like this the motor is toast. Wait and see I guess.

Nick Danger

Awful releases this year. I never would have imagined this RSD would have strayed so far from what it was. Prices have shot up, the releases keep getting worse and worse. Its so watered down now.

I havent had the urge to spin much vinyl lately not to mention buy anything. The whole scene has me a little jaded these days. I hardly fire up the system anymore.

Also my PL-71 died. Dont have any nice tables kicking around anymore to replace it for the time being. Maybe when my interest sparks up again, I'll look into replacing it if Bill cant get it fixed. Seems a lot of times though when they quit like this the motor is toast. Wait and see I guess.
Outside of the Light In The Attic offerings, nothing for me either. As my LRS opted not to order them, I will be staying home again this year.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable

What is wrong with it? I found a power supply on eBay almost immediately.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Awful releases this year. I never would have imagined this RSD would have strayed so far from what it was. Prices have shot up, the releases keep getting worse and worse. Its so watered down now...
Glad someone else had the same reaction. I was not impressed with what was released but for a couple of things I can wait for, like Jason Isbell's new album that comes out in the middle of next month. Overall, a real disappointment. And at $30 - $40 per disc prices, I'm not committing to something unless I can hear the disc before I buy. I've purchased too many new albums (and even a $250 remastered box set of all the Dire Straits lps) lately that are atrocious pressings: enough ticks, pops, groove hash, and such to ruin the listening experience.

Finding much better results tracking down either hi-rez downloads or CDs and burning them to tape...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Love the Buzzard bro but...Ya gotta have some sweetmeat!! K-SHE 95FM BayBee in old St. Louee MO K-SHE 95.jpg :snorting: :snorting: